Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary: non-casual substitute vs fixed-term pay

Options
  • 02-07-2018 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I would appreciate some advice regarding primary non-casual substitute work. I understand when a teacher has a substitute contract they do not get paid for the summer holidays, however the daily rate of pay is slightly higher compared to a teacher on a fixed term contract.

Therefore, which contract has more advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

laura_kate wrote: »
    Hi,

I would appreciate some advice regarding primary non-casual substitute work. I understand when a teacher has a substitute contract they do not get paid for the summer holidays, however the daily rate of pay is slightly higher compared to a teacher on a fixed term contract.

Therefore, which contract has more advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks

Substitute is day to day but could be longer depending on circumstances i.e. course day to long term illness etc. You can't be sure how long it will last.

Fixed term as it says on the tin - contract with start and end date and reason for vacancy e.g. maternity/career break etc.

The pay will work out the same as you get your holiday pay at Christmas, Easter and summer holidays.

I hope that answers your questions. BTW I'm post-primary but assume the above is the same for primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 laura_kate

Many thanks for your reply. Sorry I should have been clearer and wrote a substitute post guaranteed for the duration of the academic year. I have been offered a substitute position within a school starting end of August 2018 and finishing end of June 2019.

I understand a % of my holiday pay is included within my daily rate pay, but as the contract will end in June, I will not be paid for the summer holidays. Just wondering if the extra % of the daily rate pay that comes with the substitute contract will amount to the same as being paid for the entire academic year (fixed term contract).

Thanks again

Advertisement