Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break from golf and Handicap

Options
  • 02-07-2018 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Hi All ,

Quick query . If someone takes a break from playing for a year let's say April - April , but continues to pay their membership are they likely to be asked to resubmit 3 cards for Handicap ? I know clubs generally have a rule where you can't win a major without having a certain number of cards submitted the previous year which is fine . However my understanding was that once you were a member your handicap stood and you should be eligible to play opens , competitions etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Hi All ,

Quick query . If someone takes a break from playing for a year let's say April - April , but continues to pay their membership are they likely to be asked to resubmit 3 cards for Handicap ? I know clubs generally have a rule where you can't win a major without having a certain number of cards submitted the previous year which is fine . However my understanding was that once you were a member your handicap stood and you should be eligible to play opens , competitions etc...

You need 3 single competitions at home each calendar year ( or 3 cards as a new/returning member) to play get the C on golfnet for competition play.

Never played in a captains so not sure if it’s qualifying for HC purposes, if not you don’t need one unless the club says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Hi All ,

Once you keep paying your subs and GUI fees your handicap remains active and won’t change. But each club usually have different rules about winning majors, ie 3 or 4 cards in the previous 12 month period.

A lot of members in clubs never play competitive golf but still have a handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You will have a handicap but it won't be a competition 'c' handicap, so will be ineligible for lots of things, most likely including your own clubs majors, open comps and of course any GUI competitions.

Advertisement