Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused Insurance, Help!

Options
  • 02-07-2018 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am hoping that someone can help me with my situation.
    I am currently insured with Patrona, through my Broker, First Ireland. I had a van in which I had an incident three years ago whereby I accidently hit some pedestrians who ran behind my van just as I was reversing to pick someone up. I immediately rang the Gardai, but the individuals in question left the scene, only to later claim against me and my insurance.
    I then changed my vehicle to another van, ending up paying 1600 Euro in insurance. There has been two court cases in relation to the incident, but I have not been called to court for any of them. I called my Broker at the time and they simply said that it could take years to resolve.
    10 days ago, I decided to change my van for a private car, a golf. I called my broker eight days ago, filled out the relevant forms and they assured me that they would have a quote ready for me by this morning, Monday, in order for me to buy the car. I went to the dealer, filled out the forms, and have been sitting around the dealership for the last few hours waiting for First Ireland to arrange the insurance.
    I have called them 8 times today and each time I was told that, yes, insurance was immanent.
    Finally, at 3pm, I was told by First Ireland that Patrona had not yet quoted me and, furthermore, could not guarantee a quote because of the open claim. This is despite the fact that I have been insured with Patrona for years.
    I have left the Dealership feeling foolish, let down and extremely angry with both my broker and Patrona.
    I do not know what course to take now. I have just e-mailed Patrona, even though they do not normally deal with the public, to ask them to look at my case.
    All First Ireland could say was to go through the Declined Cases route.
    I feel that I am completely being taken advantage of and that there does not seem to be any statute of limitations on this.
    Is there anyone who I could complain to about this? Patrona seem to be going ahead with the case against me without my evidence etc.
    Any help at this stage would be most appreciated.
    Regards,

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Speak to your broker and ask them to quote Patronas evolve product, it deals with open claims. If that fails try quote devil who use xs direct who also quote with open claims. Unfortunately as its going from a van to a car it will be a compleatly new policy hench the difficulty getting a quote with an open claim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Generally an open claim will prevent you from changing or getting a new policy. You will most likely be stuck on your current policy until the claim is closed.

Advertisement