Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint exterior wall - current paint peeling

Options
  • 02-07-2018 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

The paint on the front of the house is peeling off, i want to paint it. Not sure what paint was used originally.

Should you peel all the paint off the wall before repainting? Do you need to sand the wall if there are any bits left?

I have attached some zoomed in pics of the current wall.

How do you stop paint peeling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

The paint on the front of the house is peeling off, i want to paint it. Not sure what paint was used originally.

Should you peel all the paint off the wall before repainting? Do you need to sand the wall if there are any bits left?

I have attached some zoomed in pics of the current wall.

How do you stop paint peeling?

Powerwash the walls, whatever comes off comes off. And then prime bare patches with alkali resisting primer, then put 2 coats of your chosen paint colour over the primer.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 trickybicky

Thanks, for the suggestion, with the hose pipe ban I won't be able to do any power washing any time soon!

I can also picture it being a bit messy and could end up having paint peeling all over the neighbours cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

Thanks, for the suggestion, with the hose pipe ban I won't be able to do any power washing any time soon!

I can also picture it being a bit messy and could end up having paint peeling all over the neighbours cars!

A slightly messy job but much quicker and easier than trying to scrape it off.
    If any of the paint is solidly stuck on the wall it doesn’t need to come off, only what’s loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Had a flacking front wall of the house and garden wall
    In Spring I did blow all of the paint off the wall with full blast of a powerwasher
    Just only remove the lose parts and painting it looks ****ty and took me two days to get all of the paint off but it looks a new wall now
    Won`t work with a D I Y washer , rented a professional one with a extreme high pressure
    Stay away from the windows you will blow the glass out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ask the neighbours down wind of your house to move their cars up the street
    after removing all the loose paint, put a stabiliser on the wall before painting
    Had same issue 10yrs ago, did the power washing, its a messy job but worth it

• Advertisement
Advertisement