Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre - F2000 questions

Options
  • 02-07-2018 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've tried a search but can't get any clear answers.

I am an Eir Fibre to the home customer, broadband only. I have the F2000 Modem along with another Huewii box I believe that is for the actual fibre line.

I am in the middle of settings up a Plex Media server on a desktop which will hopefully double as my own home server for NAS etc.

I am wondering if F2000 modems will cause me issues when trying to connect to this server from outside my network. I have some family / friends that I would like to be able to use Plex from their houses and I'd also like to be able to Remote Desktop into the home server when away.

Will the F2000 be able for this, if not what are my replacement options?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

username?! wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've tried a search but can't get any clear answers.

I am an Eir Fibre to the home customer, broadband only. I have the F2000 Modem along with another Huewii box I believe that is for the actual fibre line.

I am in the middle of settings up a Plex Media server on a desktop which will hopefully double as my own home server for NAS etc.

I am wondering if F2000 modems will cause me issues when trying to connect to this server from outside my network. I have some family / friends that I would like to be able to use Plex from their houses and I'd also like to be able to Remote Desktop into the home server when away.

Will the F2000 be able for this, if not what are my replacement options?

Thanks!

There are port forwarding options available in the F2000 settings which I assume would be sufficient for what you want to do. I have not used port forwarding on the router so cannot say how well it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

There are port forwarding options available in the F2000 settings which I assume would be sufficient for what you want to do. I have not used port forwarding on the router so cannot say how well it works.

Thanks for the reply, from googling I was seeing some answers mentioning this is disabled. If not that would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I use it for the same reason , works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

On the F2000, the remote desktop is not listed by default.
    But you can usually add it for port 3389.

Working fine for me so it can be done.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

AFAIK you need to request a static public IP with the provider I think they change every couple of months or so. I've always had business customers asking for a fixed static IP address or telling me they've requested it with the provider when vpning to and from their various branches.
    This may not be an issue but it's something to keep in mind as it's been said so much that there may be some truth to it.
    Or it could be another y2k sales pitch to charge extra for a service under a guise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A dynamic DNS service is free or much more affordable now.

Advertisement