Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handrail.

Options
  • 02-07-2018 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

My wife has problems so I have to erect a Handrail for her outside Front and Back I have the Handrails The upper wall mount has to be bolted to a wall which has 140mm of external insulation and am wondering how to fix to it. A friend suggests a Space plug Where you drill the wall about 20mm dia as far as the concrete wall which is then rawl plugged and insert the adjustable Space Plug bolt up bracket through it. Anyone tried this or have a Suggestion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

tri50072 wrote: »
    My wife has problems so I have to erect a Handrail for her outside Front and Back I have the Handrails The upper wall mount has to be bolted to a wall which has 140mm of external insulation and am wondering how to fix to it. A friend suggests a Space plug Where you drill the wall about 20mm dia as far as the concrete wall which is then rawl plugged and insert the adjustable Space Plug bolt up bracket through it. Anyone tried this or have a Suggestion.

Its going to be a challenge to fix anything onto 140mm of insulation, which is effectively 6 inches. If you get a good strong fixing in place, you risk then compressing/crushing the insulation as you tighten it down.

One option would be a few hilti bolts, say M10's. But instead of using the bolt that comes with them, get some threaded bar. I would use some pipe as a spacer between the hilti bolt and where you will be mounting the hand rail, this should ensure you don't compress the insulation.

Another option might bet to chemically anchor the threaded bar into the holes in the brick/block/concrete, which should work also.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭tri50072

Thanks for your helpful information.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i mounted something to what you want. i used a large wrall bolt( the type with the nut that leaves the threaded part sticking out) then locktightened on a threaded bar joiner along with a nut to lock it more. i think it was 14mm if not 16mm bar and wral bolt. i had to drill out the brackets on what i was mounting but it was worth it. it is rock solid.

i would get a handrail built so that you have a strong flat bar all along the wall that will allow you to mount it solid. the normal handrails are designed to be screwed and plugged to a block wall with nothing in between.

Sounds Good Thanks

I would like to Thank all for the Suggestions Job Done and secure(Wife Happy) I drilled through insulation then drilled into original wall. Inserted a 13mm Rawlbolt on end of threaded bar into original wall then cut a length of 1/2" copper pipe to thickness of insulation and put it on over threaded bar. Tightened Nut on threaded bar until rawl bolt tight done this twice.
    I then mounted hand rail bracket Tightened nut on threaded bar and cut off when tight Job Done. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement