Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mains switch size

Options
  • 02-07-2018 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed on 2 friends new builds their mains switch is 100A but my brother says they should be 63A however he's out of the electrical game a few years now in facilities.

Is there a change in ESB supply or is the mains wrong on these new builds ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

It could be a 100A isolator with the 63A MCB inside the ESB meter box at the side of the house which would be fine

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Are you talking about the rating of the switch or the fuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭listermint

17larsson wrote: »
    It could be a 100A isolator with the 63A MCB inside the ESB meter box at the side of the house which would be fine

That makes alot of sense actually. I know new installs have to have switch outside now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

The switch outside is commonly referred to as a contractor switch. It’s rated at 100A. The LV fuses in the black box at the ESB trafo pole are 100A and then it’s 63A at the ESB cut out in your meter box for discrimination purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

The fuses in your black box at the traffo are 100amp, the esb fuse in your meter box is 80amp and your main incomer fuse in your fuse box should be 63amp

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

Above post incorrect if it’s a domestic setup, it’s an mcb in enclosure installed in meter cabinet and just a main switch in consumer unit.
    This is a domestic setup.

Advertisement