Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic or Fibreglass Water Tank.

Options
  • 01-07-2018 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Just wondering if somebody might be able to advise. Our fibreglass water tank that feeds the copper cylinder and 2 toilets sits on a flat roof at the back of the house.It is cracked and needs replacing. I was going to replace with a plastic tank but somebody advised me that a fibreglass tank is be better option being outisde under the sun. The current tank is over 40 years old I think. I know water tanks maybe should be in the attic but that is not possible right now.
    So my question is should I replace with a plastic or another fibreglass tank ? The tank should hold about 40 litres.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭broken sink

Went with the fibreglass tank in the end. Good choice. Very strong compare to the old one it replaced and also came with good cover.
    Correction to the previous post. It should have said 40 gallons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Water tank outside in Ireland.

Never heard nor seen such a thing. I'd say madness and I'd be correct

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

listermint wrote:

I've seen it many times before. If you don't have an attic then you don't have an attic. They'd need to be boxed in with lots of insulation. I'd be wary hooking it up to a Pumped electric shower. If pipe freezes pressure inside the pipe can reach 30 bar believe it or not. It blows the pump in the shower. You'll always see on the front of a new shower "not to be connected where pipes are likely to freeze"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I've seen it many times before. If you don't have an attic then you don't have an attic. They'd need to be boxed in with lots of insulation. I'd be wary hooking it up to a Pumped electric shower. If pipe freezes pressure inside the pipe can reach 30 bar believe it or not. It blows the pump in the shower. You'll always see on the front of a new shower "not to be connected where pipes are likely to freeze"

Madness so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

listermint wrote:
    Madness so

Not an ideal solution that's for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

listermint wrote: »
    Water tank outside in Ireland.

Plenty of them still around Dublin, especially very old city cottages.

Advertisement