Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health & Safety Advice - Apprentice style.

Options
  • 01-07-2018 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey all,

I'm sure you get these apprentice type questions, day in and day out but aside from wrecking busy tattoo artists heads in person, here is a good place to collect appropriate information. Any information would be appreciated!

I am a wannabe apprentice, long time artist with fine art degree. Tattoo apprentice portfolio just sorted - spent a few months dedicated to organising it properly etc..

I have generally worked in social care and autism services after my degree but as a creative, it just wasn't for me long term, I always gave 110% but ended up forgetting about me and putting my health at risk unfortunately. I kinda realised I had fallen into that role accidentally and have since gone back to my younger dream of entering the tattooing and body mods industry. I used to think I wasn't good enough (read youth self doubt and unworthiness) but age has made me realise, there's no harm in trying to reach your dreams. Without trying, you automatically fail.

I know it's as tough as anything and not for everyone but I am serious about it. I love the creative element, the people aspect and the overall sense of helping people in such a unique way. I'm hard working, adaptable with pressure, an awesome people person and have many years experience in different areas so my skills and such are varied and useful. I've also always been into body modifications and have quite a lot at this stage.

My question for here is, before I set out to try to sell myself to my favourite professionals, what Health & Safety courses would it be useful to have (or in the stages of completing) prior to entering the industry?

I went and did an online course on BBP, I also have a general infection control online course, manual training and a First Aid FETAC 5. I have a bunch of other smaller health and safety training from my healthcare industry work but the above 4 are newly refreshed this year, just incase.

Any others I may be missing? What other aspects may benefit me that I can make an effort on before (or at least start) I'm chatting to prospective teachers.

I want to give a good impression and express my initiative and seriousness about this.

Thanks in advance x

Advertisement