Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney stove flue

Options
  • 01-07-2018 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

MOD NOTE: I deleted this post as the one below is almost the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭burdburd

Hi

I have an open fireplace that has already been lined with flex flue. The existing flue is 8" in diameter I think.

I want to add a multifuel stove. I would like to get an adapter onto the existing flue to reduce it to 6" but the end of the existing flue is quite high inside chimneyband out of reach to mechanically fix to it.

I am wondering if I can :

A) poke circa 6ft of 6" flue up into the existing 8". And pack the gap between flues.. I.e. the 1" gap/ring.

B) insert a new 6" flue into full length of chimney from top down and fill the gap between.

The stove is to be in front of fireplace on new plinth.

Thanks for any recommendations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

the best option is to fit a new 6" flexi flue the full length...no need to fill the gap between as it seems to be well insulated already.

The other option will work but will not be as safe...you may get a leak or may get creosote building up

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭burdburd

Thanks for reply. I think in the long term that is the solution all right.

One fitter said he would have to remove existing flue first. Don't like sound of that....expense and unnecessary effort not to mention removing a working liner.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

I am not sure that the liner that is in the chimney now is a proper multi fuel flexi flue,its hard to be sure from that pic so that is why i recommended putting in a new one.....maybe thats why the installer said he had to remove it.

Advertisement