Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Medicine--Sample Timetable? + Questions

Options
  • 01-07-2018 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello! I'm an international student who will be attending NUIG medical school this year (aka, see you in a few months lol). I'll be entering the 5 year programme. I do have some questions, if anyone has any answers, I hope you'll take a sec to clue me in! Thanks in advance :).

1. Does anyone have a sample timetable? I'd like to see what a typical week looks like (classes per day, time frame within classes take place).

2. When do you know your timetable? I've heard that two weeks before class starts, you'll have been registered for classes--true?

3. How does the typical class operate? How many exams per class in a term? Is there usually graded homework assessments or in class quizzes? Are labs different from lecture courses? Do these include practicals (hands on exams with lab subjects)? Any presentations and/or group projects that I should be looking forward to?

4. To buy or not to buy textbooks...that is the question. Should I be rushing to Amazon to purchase textbooks or will powerpoints be enough? Do lecturers usually use powerpoints?

5. And this isn't an NUIG question, but I wanted to ask. I'm not an alcohol drinker and I've never been to a bar in my life. But, I heard pubs are sort of the social scene and that drinking is a popular way to socialize. Is this true?

6. If you happen to be in NUIG medicine, have you seen a good amount of mature students? I'm actually 24 and I know I'll be with a lot of teens. Don't want to seem like too much of a grandma lmao.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Probably isnt a sample timetable anywhere but classes will vary considerably year on year in terms of number of hours per day
    It will be some time in mid to late August when timetable is released and that can change in time before classes actually start in September
    NUIG website should have info on how many exams per term.
    Labs will be linked to lecture courses and will include practicals.
    Not medicine student but hard to say if you need to buy textbooks.

The NUIG College Bar(now known as Sult) is very popular and town is close for pubs but the university has some of the best clubs and societies in the country and if not a drinker there is loads of groups you can find to mix with

Plenty of medicine students will not be direct school leavers so wont necessarily be teens in first year. Wouldnt worry about that too much. I finished a degree relatively recently as a mature student and wasnt ever really an issue

http://www.nuigalway.ie/media/collegeofmedicinenursinghealthsciences/Up_dated_Curriculum-Overview_for_website.pdf

Advertisement