Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a teaching job in non mainstream education

Options
  • 01-07-2018 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Im a qualified art teacher and would love to teach non mainstream education such as working in hospitals/childrens hospitals/working with adult stroke and brain injury victims, special needs centers and schools, psychiatric hospitals etc.
    How could I move into this area of employment?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sometimes rather than being hired by the particular centre, teachers in non mainstream centres are supplied by the local ETB. It might be worth talking to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

They advertise on edposts like most schools or as spurious says, teachers come from the ETB. There have been several ads recently for these type of positions. The ones I saw for the children's hospital wanted primary teachers but Linn Dara school in Cherry Orchard advertises regularly enough for second level.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The childrens' hospitals look for qualified primary teachers, so unlikely you'd get a job in them. There are only a few such jobs in the country in any case.
    Special education schools also tend to hire only qualified teachers, so you'd be limited to art and hence have less chance of work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

The childrens' hospitals look for qualified primary teachers, so unlikely you'd get a job in them. There are only a few such jobs in the country in any case.
    Special education schools also tend to hire only qualified teachers, so you'd be limited to art and hence have less chance of work too.

I am a 'qualified' teacher. Im aware that having art limits me but that goes for any specific subject. There are special needs centres and schools that higher full time art teachers, more so than main stream schools. If anything im better off in those areas than mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Gosh I would of thought they hired Art teachers? I know they hire home ec teachers but maybe not full time?
    For special schools it’s the primary school hours and calander.

Also some fee paying junior/primary schools hire Art teachers to do art instead of the primary teacher. Don’t know if that would interest you or not?

• Advertisement
Advertisement