Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion for a new phone?

Options
  • 01-07-2018 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Currently have an S8 since September and fancy a change.

Looking for something with better battery, budget 500 euro (assuming I get 350-400 for mine when selling)

I still have 30+ gb free on phone so 64 internal should do and a card slot not necessary.

I like phones with notches but not essential. Also, I'd prefer a non- 'edge' style screen.

Will be keeping he phone until next year.

My options so far-

Samsung A8 plus - bigger screen, bigger battery, better fingerprint placement.

Xiaomi mi8 / se, - lacks water resistance but a great phone, lack of decent warranty if problems. I included the ad because I don't need a big screen and the SD710 is getting good reviews.

One plus 6 - great battery life, excellent camera, high end of budget

Mostly use FB, Snapchat, Spotify and chrome.

Any suggestions welcome! (And if anyone is interested in a mint sim free S8 pm me ;) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Matthewjohn

How about the Huawei P20? Has the notch, strong battery life, 128gb storage, dual camera and the fingerprint scanner is at the front which I think is much more practical. Only downside is the lack of waterproofing but you should be able to pick one up for about €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

How about the Huawei P20? Has the notch, strong battery life, 128gb storage, dual camera and the fingerprint scanner is at the front which I think is much more practical. Only downside is the lack of waterproofing but you should be able to pick one up for about €500.

I'd be sickened if I spent around 500 on that where as can pick up a pro for 100- 150 more! The water resistance , more ram, bigger battery and better camera would be worth the extra investment which is why I kept it off my list ...

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

rizzee wrote: »

Mostly use FB, Snapchat, Spotify and chrome.

Don't see why you need a flagship if those are your main uses.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Don't see why you need a flagship if those are your main uses.

I can see your point. That's why A8 is on my list too... something that does the job for me while still smooth and decent battery

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I can see your point. That's why A8 is on my list too... something that does the job for me while still smooth and decent battery

Take a look at the Nokia 7 Plus. Midrange phone with amazing battery life and good build quality. Part of Android One program so almost stock android with 3 years of regular updates guaranteed. Have one myself.

• Advertisement

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Take a look at the Nokia 7 Plus. Midrange phone with amazing battery life and good build quality. Part of Android One program so almost stock android with 3 years of regular updates guaranteed. Have one myself.

Been following the thread, it's a lovely phone but not my cup of tea! Thanks though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Just to clarify.
    There's 3 years of security updates.
    The Android updates are for 2 years only.

That's the current policy for Android One, and all the Nokia 2018 phones are included.

Just to update the thread - I sold my S8 today for 410 and bought a new sealed P20 128gb for 389 euro! Delighted with it so far, thanks for the suggestions.

I went for it as P20 Pro was 600-650 so considerably more of a gap in price than I thought there would be, but the P20 specs are still perfect for my usage after doing a bit of research and looking at reviews.. 40 euro less than the A8 plus and better spec as well.

So much for singing the Pros praises' and not going for it eh :D

Thanks for all suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Just to update the thread - I sold my S8 today for 410 and bought a new sealed P20 128gb for 389 euro! Delighted with it so far, thanks for the suggestions.

Hi. Where is it going for €389 please? Also having come from a Samsung, how do you find the EMUI software interface on the P20? A lot of reviewers seem to say it's a love it or hate it deal.

I've used Huaweis in the past, I don't mind it! I did get rid of a lot of the stock apps (uninstall or disable), though.

I bought it on Adverts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

where did you get it for this price please? can u post a link to the website, please?

Advertisement