Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Gaming PC on Finance.

Options
  • 30-06-2018 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi there.
    I’ve been thinking for a while to build a Gaming PC. I have up to 500 and it’s really not enough for a good PC that I wouldn’t need to upgrade too soon. So my question is are there any Places that I can build a pc and pay it on finance ? Pay it over a 2 year period?.

I completely understand that i will end up paying a lot more than it’s worth. But I’m whiling to do That. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Get a credit card. And be careful.

Scan.co.uk have prebuilts and they offer finance. I buy a lot of components off them and they are top class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

first off buy a decent monitor / keyboard / mouse / PC case that will last you through multiple upgrades

then buy 2nd hand components from last generation flagships from maybe adverts.ie, you don't have to be on the bleeding edge

stick to some spec that plays games at 1080p with all the bells and whistles and this will last you until next year

Then sell your old gear and then use the proceeds with 2-300 quid extra will help you upgrade

I am running a 4870k with a 1080GTX with a 144hz 1080p monitor, I wont upgrade for the next couple of years as my rig can deal with anything

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Dylan12345

squawker wrote: »
    first off buy a decent monitor / keyboard / mouse / PC case that will last you through multiple upgrades

then buy 2nd hand components from last generation flagships from maybe adverts.ie, you don't have to be on the bleeding edge

stick to some spec that plays games at 1080p with all the bells and whistles and this will last you until next year

Then sell your old gear and then use the proceeds with 2-300 quid extra will help you upgrade

I am running a 4870k with a 1080GTX with a 144hz 1080p monitor, I wont upgrade for the next couple of years as my rig can deal with anything

Don’t take this the wrong way. I just don’t feel like my mind might change about trying to get it on finance. For a good pc that will play games on high settings, I’m probably looking at upwards of €1,000. I only half a little under half of that. Finance seems like a good way for now.

Scan.co.uk have prebuilts and they offer finance. I buy a lot of components off them and they are top class.

From what I read on their website. Finance is only available to those who live in the UK. I live in Ireland.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Get a credit card. And be careful.

I would probably get in way too much debt with a credit card.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Is it really worth getting in debt to play some video games? If money is tight then €500 will get you a decent secondhand rig, something built around a 2600K and a GTX 970. The difference between high and ultra in most games is marginal and the extra cost in hardware to achieve that is silly.

What games do you want to play? These also cost money, the newer more graphically ones being most expensive. Give us some requirements and we’ll help you find something.

Also the longer you wait the more you can save and the better hardware you can get. There’s new Nvidia GPUs expected soon, that could flood the secondhand market with 10 series cards.

5uspect wrote: »
    Is it really worth getting in debt to play some video games? If money is tight then €500 will get you a decent secondhand rig, something built around a 2600K and a GTX 970. The difference between high and ultra in most games is marginal and the extra cost in hardware to achieve that is silly.

What games do you want to play? These also cost money, the newer more graphically ones being most expensive. Give us some requirements and we’ll help you find something.

Also the longer you wait the more you can save and the better hardware you can get. There’s new Nvidia GPUs expected soon, that could flood the secondhand market with 10 series cards.

I make YouTube videos. Not gaming or anything, but normal videos. So I don’t want to be too limited with parts. I dont want programs to take very long to open and videos taking a long time to render.

With that being said, I could wait for a bit to get a cpu. I could buy a 500 - 600 euro PC without a GPU and just use the APU integrated graphics. I would just need to find a good place to build the pc and order it.

I would still like to keep finance in mind though.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Dylan12345 wrote: »
    I would probably get in way too much debt with a credit card.
    Then you'll probably have to wait.

As far as I know there is no retailers that provide finance on PC parts to Irish consumer customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

I wouldn’t be recommending to go into debt for a pc. Fair enough you want it to be more responsive but if you can’t afford it. That’s a luxury and you would get by with a slower pc. Good things come to those that wait and you will appreciate it all the more so I would wait until you have enough money for the thing you want

• Advertisement

I make YouTube videos. Not gaming or anything, but normal videos. So I don’t want to be too limited with parts. I dont want programs to take very long to open and videos taking a long time to render.

With that being said, I could wait for a bit to get a cpu. I could buy a 500 - 600 euro PC without a GPU and just use the APU integrated graphics. I would just need to find a good place to build the pc and order it.

What kind of machine are you using right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you could look at somewhere like Littlewoods but what they offer for the money is terrible

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/electricals/desktop-computers/e/b/4877.end

PC World/Dixons do finance but I think you should be looking at getting a bank loan and buying something that suits you better

I don’t have one. I use my phone to make posts on this website.

Fol20 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be recommending to go into debt for a pc. Fair enough you want it to be more responsive but if you can’t afford it. That’s a luxury and you would get by with a slower pc. Good things come to those that wait and you will appreciate it all the more so I would wait until you have enough money for the thing you want

Totally right. I’ve decided on building a pc that I won’t need a graphics card in. Just for the time being. I can afford it and it will get me by. Thanks for the help!

I don’t have one. I use my phone to make posts on this website.

How old are you? The last thing a young person needs is debt.

If you want to go all out on YouTube videos you’re going to also have to buy expensive video editing software and probably a proper camera with some good lenses...

Making some basic videos put together from phone footage isn’t going to tax a solid machine from a few years ago, maybe you’ll have to wait a whole extra minute for something to render compared to a new machine costing a couple grand. You could run Linux and edit video in free software like Blender to save more cash. There’s plenty of PCs on Adverts around your budget with 4th gen i7s and 970s.

How old are you? The last thing a young person needs is debt.

If you want to go all out on YouTube videos you’re going to also have to buy expensive video editing software and probably a proper camera with some good lenses...

Making some basic videos put together from phone footage isn’t going to tax a solid machine from a few years ago, maybe you’ll have to wait a whole extra minute for something to render compared to a new machine costing a couple grand. You could run Linux and edit video in free software like Blender to save more cash. There’s plenty of PCs on Adverts around your budget with 4th gen i7s and 970s.

The sort of videos I make are just me talking about upcoming films and such. I have equipment to do my recording it’s just the computer I need. I had one but I had to let it go for financial reasons. Ill go with the Ryzen 5 2400g and good ram with an ssd. It should render fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Post up in here with budget & necessities:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

DO NOT BUY ON FINANCE.
    Get a small loan if absolutely necessary.

Advertisement