Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hot weather golf

Options
  • 30-06-2018 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

any tips on keeping cool in the hot weather. playing an important match at 12 tomorrow and dreadintg it. i dont normally wear a cap cos i feel they make me hotter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

First thing, wear a cap. Keeps the sun out of your eyes, and sun form the bald patch.

Drink plenty of water today, care up also. Drinking today will keep you hydrated, as it's harder to do so on the day.

Eat a protein meal before the game, helps you keep focus, and think better.

Water on the course also.

Pull the bag, don't carry.

Suncream up, arms ears, but not the forehead, as the sweat will drip in your eyes and sting.

Don't wear cotton, you'll be dripping in no time.

Shorts will keep u cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Pouring water into me all day. Think I'll have to wear cap but hate doing so. Thanks for tips

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Pouring water into me all day. Think I'll have to wear cap but hate doing so. Thanks for tips

Umbrella.
    I hate wearing caps so have used umbrella on some of the hotter days on the course.
    Sun cream everywhere including forehead unless u want to burn to a crisp

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Freeze a bottle of water the night before (empty a little and squeeze it a bit for the expansion). It will melt going around and you can top up with other water bottles and always have cool drink. worked a treat for me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ah jaysus lads so now that we finally get to play golf in shorts and t-shirt we're making it out to be like golfing on Tatooine? We'll be back waddling through puddles in 7 degrees with a stiff breeze soon enough. :cool:

Put sun lotion on have a bottle or two of water to make sure you stay hydrated. If it's really sunny you might consider wearing a cap. I don't like wearing them myself but when its really shining down on you a mild sunstroke is a possibility. Nothing serious, but you could end up with a headache in the evening. So while it may feel a little warmer there's a reason for them. Consider wearing one. I'm almost after getting used to a cap, its not that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

If you play parkland you can walk along the trees for shade where possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Played two rounds Thursday in the full sun, no hat, no problems.

Three 2 litre bottles of water half filled and in the freezer day before, topped up with fresh water on the day.
    All day sunblock prior to round one then reapplied before round two.
    Wore the lightest wicking clothes I have, changed socks and golf shoes between rounds.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, if you wait until you're thirsty to drink then it's too late, sip on every tee box without fail and you will be fine.
    As the saying goes "Don't wait, hydrate"

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Umbrella.
    I hate wearing caps so have used umbrella on some of the hotter days on the course.
    Sun cream everywhere including forehead unless u want to burn to a crisp

:D

fair play . But I just couldn't go around with umbrella up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I hate playing in hot weather, give me golf in 6 degree weather any day.

I played last Weds evening, was 31 degrees when we teed off and was a punishing 18. We all had hats, sun cream and plenty of water but we were all pretty shagged leaving the course.

I've never understood the attraction of playing in Spain/Portugal/Thailand - is it all just drinking and riding?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Nobody plays in Spain or Portugal in 31 degrees. Only mad dogs and Englishmen as the saying goes. The season comes into swing there in October. Or April/May/early June.
    I'd say 22, 23 is ideal. 31 degrees is not ideal, but I take it over 6 degrees any day. I don't even want to think about 6 degrees right now <shivers> I suppose we cant be all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

If buggies are available, rent one. You'll dehydrate less and save your energy for the golf. Also provides shade when there's none available.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I hate playing in hot weather, give me golf in 6 degree weather any day.

I played last Weds evening, was 31 degrees when we teed off and was a punishing 18. We all had hats, sun cream and plenty of water but we were all pretty shagged leaving the course.

I've never understood the attraction of playing in Spain/Portugal/Thailand - is it all just drinking and riding?

Totally different playing in the heat in Spain etc.

First of all, you pretty much always rent buggies.

Also (for me personally), we always play either earlybird or twilight golf..1) because it costs a good bit less and 2) you are not impacted by the peak heat as much.

Different kind of heat over there too...The heat here was completely dead and your body isn't adjusted to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Slightly off topic but a number of courses in England have banned smoking on the course for fear of fire

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.timeinc.net/golfmonthlyuk/news/uk-golf-courses-ban-smoking-due-heatwave-159244?source=dam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭sydneygolfdude

I might be stating the obvious here but is anyone really struggling out on the course these last few weekends with the heat (trust me I still prefer it to rain/frost any day. I know its great that we get that big extra roll on our drives. But I am finding it hard to keep mentally focused for 18 holes in the heat where physically I am doing ok. I lived in Sydney for many years and during the summer you would be on the course by 6.30/7am or just after to avoid the mid day heat. we don't seem to have that mentality here in Ireland or maybe its just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I've been struggling big time mainly with holding greens, ball travelling further and getting all sorts of bad bounces. I tend to tee off around 8 so miss most of the hottest day. In any case I'll have plenty of water with me. A guy collapsed on our course on Saturday from dehydration. Having said that I hit atleast 8 drives 300 metres down the fairway so it's swings and roundabouts for me.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I've been struggling big time mainly with holding greens, ball travelling further and getting all sorts of bad bounces. I tend to tee off around 8 so miss most of the hottest day. In any case I'll have plenty of water with me. A guy collapsed on our course on Saturday from dehydration. Having said that I hit atleast 8 drives 300 metres down the fairway so it's swings and roundabouts for me.

I find holding the greens and jusdging clubs particularly difficult with the extra roll out and teying to figure out which clib to use as i become over cautious.
    Although the extra on the drive puts a spring in my step

Advertisement