Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Bmw connected drive

  • 30-06-2018 12:59pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ Zane97


    Hi there. The folk bought a used Bmw up in Belfast last week. I was gonna register it in the Irish store with the vin and I am getting a msg saying

    The Bmw ConnectDrive Services for this vehicle will be devactivated if you add it to your account.

    Some or all of the Bmw connecteddrive Services provided in another country may be deactivated if you add this vehicle to your account. Please contact Bmw Connected Drive Customer Support for more info.

    The car has the weather and some uk news items... not sure if these are standard or it’s on the previous owners. Bmw management had it before.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 50,141 ✭✭✭✭ bazz26


    It is probably still activated on the UK BMW connected drive site from the previous owner as you can only have a car active in one country at a time. You could try and register on the uk site and add the reg there but when you go to subscribe to new services it will ask you for a UK billing address.

    If you have a UK address handy I'd keep it there as sometimes the UK get some things that might not be available to Irish users or the price of certain subscription services are sometimes on special offer in the UK but not here. I have a similar problem with my 530d and was going to use my work UK address but haven't bothered yet. I'd give them a ring and see if they can transfer it for you over to the Irish service if your parents prefer that. I'd be interest to hear how you get on if you do ring them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ Zane97


    It’s got a few items on the connected drive purchased until 2019 so I’m gonna leave it as is. I found it directly in the car.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭ carsfan2


    Call BMW connected drive Ireland
    1890 940101 and have the uk reg number and vin. Explain you’re moving to car to the republic and they can set things up on their end to change you to the republic services. All that may change really is you get Irish news etc. The call centre is actually in the UK but they look after Ireland too. I have found them helpful since I got my new model 5.


  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ Zane97


    carsfan2 wrote: »
    Call BMW connected drive Ireland
    1890 940101 and have the uk reg number and vin. Explain you’re moving to car to the republic and they can set things up on their end to change you to the republic services. All that may change really is you get Irish news etc. The call centre is actually in the UK but they look after Ireland too. I have found them helpful since I got my new model 5.

    Ok thanks. I will do... it’s a great system to have.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,606 ✭✭✭✭ R.O.R


    Robbie G wrote: »
    Ok thanks. I will do... it’s a great system to have.

    Have you tried the function where it reads the news to you yet?

    It's so bad, it's funny. Great way to while away a few minutes in a traffic jam - sports reports with foreign names in are my favorite.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭ BraveDonut


    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but this seems like the best place to put this question.

    I bought a 161 520 luxury edition earlier this year and just got an email to say that my connected service expired on June 3rd.

    I am not really sure what services are provided here and if this is worth renewing. How much does it cost?

    So far, I have not noticed anything different/missing.....

    thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭ JoeA3


    BraveDonut wrote: »
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but this seems like the best place to put this question.

    I bought a 161 520 luxury edition earlier this year and just got an email to say that my connected service expired on June 3rd.

    I am not really sure what services are provided here and if this is worth renewing. How much does it cost?

    So far, I have not noticed anything different/missing.....

    thanks

    Some of the features are a bit gimmicky but the ones I’d find useful would be:

    - Nav map updates (there’s 3-4 updates a year)
    - live traffic information on maps (surprisingly accurate)
    - the remote app - telling you where car is parked, if it’s locked / unlocked, the ability to send Nav destinations to the car from the app.

    If you go onto the connected drive website I think you can purchase individual items. E.g. if you only cared about map updates then just pay the sub for that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 50,141 ✭✭✭✭ bazz26


    BraveDonut wrote: »
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but this seems like the best place to put this question.

    I bought a 161 520 luxury edition earlier this year and just got an email to say that my connected service expired on June 3rd.

    I am not really sure what services are provided here and if this is worth renewing. How much does it cost?

    So far, I have not noticed anything different/missing.....

    thanks

    That's because the original BMW connected drive services that came originally with the car from day 1 expire 3 years on.

    Register and log into https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.ie/app/index.html#/portal then add your car's registration or VIN and it will tell you what current services you subscribe to and what you can
    subscribe to and the associate cost.


  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭ BraveDonut


    Thanks Bazz and Joe,
    I have been on the site and can see the options, but I am not sure what I need to actually get.
    For example, I already tested that I can send nav destinations from the phone and it still works even though the email told me the connected service expired on June 3rd.


  • Registered Users Posts: 50,141 ✭✭✭✭ bazz26


    That's probably just a free service done from the BMW Connected Drive app on your phone to your car. The app also might allow you to lock/unlock the doors remotely, switch on the lights/ventilation system and locate your car from your phone. The other services on the website are just subscriptions to various services being offered such as BMW online, USB sat nav map updates, Microsoft Office, etc.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭ nogoodnamesleft


    JoeA3 wrote: »
    Some of the features are a bit gimmicky but the ones I’d find useful would be:

    - Nav map updates (there’s 3-4 updates a year)
    - live traffic information on maps (surprisingly accurate)
    - the remote app - telling you where car is parked, if it’s locked / unlocked, the ability to send Nav destinations to the car from the app.

    If you go onto the connected drive website I think you can purchase individual items. E.g. if you only cared about map updates then just pay the sub for that.


    I have the professional idrive in my 5 series and I find it ok not exceptional regards the navigation (I am based in the UK).

    There are two map updates per year. I have the 2018-2 (I.e. the second half of 2018) and it doesn't contain some of the road alterations made 18months prior. So if you have the more modern LCD dash in the F10 it will present the incorrect lane in the drivers display as you approach the roundabout.

    The live traffic updates which are a subscription feature have a lot of be desired. Google maps and Waze are better and more accurate. The dynamic updating of route is also slow and may not choose the best route compared to Google maps.

    The unlock feature via the mobile app is also another extra once off subscription feature for what I am aware.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,606 ✭✭✭✭ R.O.R


    The unlock feature via the mobile app is also another extra once off subscription feature for what I am aware.

    And not worth paying for in my opinion. Takes an absolute age to complete, if it completes at all.

    Was away for the weekend a few weeks ago and I went down to put the luggage in the car before we checked out, and realised I'd forgot my car key in the room when I got to the car, so thought I'd use my phone to unlock.

    After standing next to the car for a couple of minutes in the rain, I gave up and called the missus (still in the hotel room) - thankfully the car was parked right under the window so she could unlock it for me. No idea how long I would have been waiting if I decided to wait for the app to unlock the car - probably would have had to try it a few times before it worked.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭ nogoodnamesleft


    R.O.R wrote: »
    And not worth paying for in my opinion. Takes an absolute age to complete, if it completes at all.

    Was away for the weekend a few weeks ago and I went down to put the luggage in the car before we checked out, and realised I'd forgot my car key in the room when I got to the car, so thought I'd use my phone to unlock.

    After standing next to the car for a couple of minutes in the rain, I gave up and called the missus (still in the hotel room) - thankfully the car was parked right under the window so she could unlock it for me. No idea how long I would have been waiting if I decided to wait for the app to unlock the car - probably would have had to try it a few times before it worked.

    I didn't pay for it as I was concerned in case it would inadvertently become a security flaw as it also seem possible to remotely start the car from the app. I did pay for the traffic subscription for a year but it's not worth it.

    App is buggy at the best of times and it doesn't get the info from the car into the app (mileage, fuel on board etc ) unless its physically plugged in via the USB yet the mobile will have full connectivity for calls and music via bluetooth.

    It would be a lot better if the future Idrives offered full android and apple support as BMW seemed more concerned with selling various subscription services via the idrive interface.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,606 ✭✭✭✭ R.O.R


    I didn't pay for it as I was concerned in case it would inadvertently become a security flaw as it also seem possible to remotely start the car from the app. I did pay for the traffic subscription for a year but it's not worth it.

    App is buggy at the best of times and it doesn't get the info from the car into the app (mileage, fuel on board etc ) unless its physically plugged in via the USB yet the mobile will have full connectivity for calls and music via bluetooth.

    It would be a lot better if the future Idrives offered full android and apple support as BMW seemed more concerned with selling various subscription services via the idrive interface.

    I think one of the cars I registered to my account must have had the App Connect services specified from the factory, and they now seem to be attached to my account as they move from car to car.

    If the App doesn't load your mileage, distance to empty etc. try logging in to www.bmw-connecteddrive.ie on your desktop/laptop - seems to solve any of the app issues I've had in the past.

    Can't remotely start the vehicle from the App, but it might depend on what model it is. I can flash the lights, lock/unlock, ventilate or schedule ventilation from my App.

    Can't get Spotify to function properly though. Will occasionally appear, but if you try to use it via the Spotify App in the car it freezes, Spotify dissapears and it's back to music via Bluetooth.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭ dingding


    Just noticed that the connected drive services are not accessible from a web browser anymore. As an example, I can't send a destination to the car, however I can do it from the app.


    Am I doing something wrong, is there a different web address? I tried this address but it just let me buy more services but does not communicate with hte car. www.bmw-connecteddrive.ie



  • Registered Users Posts: 12,606 ✭✭✭✭ R.O.R


    I haven't tried sending anything from a browser, but the Connected Drive app no longer works. Still shows where my car was on the 27th July though...


    New My BMW App has replaced it. I didn't see any communication about this, and probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't have changed cars and been unable to add the new car in the Connected Drive App.



Advertisement