Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing Need - Planning Application

Options
  • 30-06-2018 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi all,

A friend is looking to apply for planning for a house in the area she grew up!

However she commutes to work (150km round trip) a day to a neighbouring county.

Regarding the "Housing Need", would a local authority refuse permission solely on the basis that she works in a different county - other needs would be to live close to elderly parents, relocate to area she grew up with hopes of securing job etc.

Anyone gone through something similar to the above?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Perhaps the question is - How do you prove you have a housing need in a particular area, if your commuting 150km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 mushrooms8me

I guess a Pre-Planning meeting would be the way to go? It would avoid any expense regarding the preparation of the planning application...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Can they refuse a person because they commute (and back) to a job?
    Where do they live now? Near the site/home?

She lives at home - as rent is very expensive. Commuting is working out cheaper. The plan is to build in the area she grew up in with the plan of getting a job closer to home. I'm just wondering would planning be refused straight away.....on the basis of not working in the immediate area....tricky!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭kellxor.1337

Pre planning meeting is a must, not that it did us any help.

We’ve just been refused planning for not meeting the apparent housing need,

We matched with the favored niece/nephew wishing to build on family land”uncle has no dependants” , close to her family home and elderly parents, working in the area”small village” and a genuine need for health reasons,

The plot is 7km from the family home but planning was still refused,

This can differ depending on what council is reviewing your application.

I would suggest the pre planning meeting before doing anything else

• Advertisement

kellxor.1337 i'm sorry to hear that. I know some couples who went through the same - however they reapplied and stated the relevant guidelines / info from the county development plan that they met / complied with. Don't give up, fight it, can you bring to An Bord Pleanala?

Advertisement