Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hair removal advice for pre-teens

Options
  • 30-06-2018 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

my young one is pre-teen years, and hormones are kicking in.

so curious how do young girls handle underarm hair these days ?
    are there other options for pre-teens than live with it or shave ?
    anyone you know who does waxing at earlier age ?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Have you considered Veet hair removal cream? Just be sure that it's not left on longer than stated on the instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Ms.R.Brite wrote: »
    Have you considered Veet hair removal cream? Just be sure that it's not left on longer than stated on the instructions.

Thanks - haven't look at the cream yet as I fear her skin is more sensitive; but now that you mention it, I see it can be popular for younger age.

For now she's not as bothered, so I think this summer we can let it be.

And maybe I can start telling her about #LesPrincessesOntDesPoils

• Registered Users Posts: 3 frivolousmint

I used hair removal cream when I was 12-14. There are sensitive versions available and I had no problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Hi there, searching this topic at the moment because it's an issue in our house too at the moment.
    Just wondering how you got on OP or can others offer advice?
    We've a fairly open relationship and have discussed puberty, periods & (touched on) sex but the grooming bit is stumping me. I think she's too young to wax; am dubious about a razor at that age but is cream too harsh on their skin at 12?
    She defintely needs to remove underarm hair sooner rather than later.

we used veet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

No girl young or old 'needs' to remove any hair. It is a personal choice to do so, and our young girls should not be pressured into doing so, least of all by their parents.
    If you have a good relationship then she will surely ask you herself if she wants a method of removal?
    I asked my parents when I started to feel self conscious myself.
    I have a 15 year old Stepdaughter who has no wish to remove her body hair, and that's her decision to make.
    It's a personal preference, and I think it should be left to the child to ask themselves. Even mentioning it creates the impression that it should be removed.

I get where you may be coming from but obviously as a parent I have decided its best to research ways to remove hair so I can give her the best advice I can. She's very sporty and prefers to wear vest type tops. She's also sweating an awful lot with hormones anyway at the moment too. So combined with underarm hair its a recipe for BO
    I consider it a hygenic rather than a personal grooming issue if you understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

Title of thread sounds wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I wouldn't advise waxing underarms for a pre-teen. I got it done as an adult (my Spanish friend convinced me it was the best way) and it hurt like hell. I've never had it done since. I've used veet on my legs but never under the arms. Could you show her how to shave? You could do it at the bathroom sink wearing a bikini top.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I get where you may be coming from but obviously as a parent I have decided its best to research ways to remove hair so I can give her the best advice I can. She's very sporty and prefers to wear vest type tops. She's also sweating an awful lot with hormones anyway at the moment too. So combined with underarm hair its a recipe for BO
    I consider it a hygenic rather than a personal grooming issue if you understand.

Daily washing and deodorant are perfectly adequate to control underarm BO. Underarm hair is not unhygienic. When she's ready to remove her underarm hair she'll let you know. I don't see the problem with shaving. Those creams are not gentle, even the sensitive ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Has she asked you about removing her underarm hair?

Underarm hair is not unhygenic - think about it, if this was your pre-teen son, would you be looking into ways to remove his underarm hair?

If she hasn't asked, leave her be until she brings it up. Even so, at 12 I think she is too young to start shaving or waxing and those creams are not gentle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭votecounts

munster87 wrote: »
    Title of thread sounds wrong!
    I actually thought some paedo was looking for advice:D

Mod
    *please keep thread on topic*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi there, searching this topic at the moment because it's an issue in our house too at the moment.
    Just wondering how you got on OP or can others offer advice?
    We've a fairly open relationship and have discussed puberty, periods & (touched on) sex but the grooming bit is stumping me. I think she's too young to wax; am dubious about a razor at that age but is cream too harsh on their skin at 12?
    She defintely needs to remove underarm hair sooner rather than later.

Meaning you want her to remove it.

Why is it a hygiene issue? Men seem to manage perfectly fine with underarm hair their whole lives and it's not considered a hygiene issue. Teach her to wash herself daily, have regular showers and use deodorant if you want to teach her about hygiene.

All you'll teach her otherwise is that she is somewhat of a lesser human if she retains a little body hair. Teenage girls have enough to contend with without their parents making them feel like crap.

Ok can we please stop with the debate on whether underarm hair should / should not be removed - start another thread please if people want to discuss that. - rainbowtrout this isn't aimed at you personally & mods its not meant as backseat mod but I didn't ask for that debate in my question on this thread - I searched old threads for anything similar& found this one & merely wanted to know how the original poster got on
    I wanted advice on products / methods best suited to teenage skin and advice from those gone before me. Thanks to those who answered that query.

But you said she definitely needs to remove it sooner or later. That's coming from you, not her. There's no needs, it just you enforcing your preference on her body.
    That's a far bigger issue than whether she should use a razor, cream or wax. If she wants to remove it or comes to you and tells you she wants to remove it, then have the conversation with her about what is available.

She HAS asked me - I put her off "till the summer holidays" which are later this week
    I did say she's sporty & wears vests tops
    Maybe she takes indirect / direct pressure from a number of angles including me but SHE has commented on it herself.
    I merely want advice from parents who've gone through similar and could recommend one product over another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

My niece uses one of those sensitive hair removal creams, if that helps? Nair. I'm sure Veet would be fine too. I started out with hair removal creams when I was her age as well and didn't have any problems despite having sensitive skin.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

*Mod note*

I have changed the title of this thread.
    Please keep the thread on topic.

Thanks moonbeam

Thanks, that's clearer. I'd suggest give her a razor and shaving foam then to start with. No harsh chemicals that will sting and let her get used to that. She can always move on to hair removal creams at a later stage.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You can get Venus razors that have a moisture bar on them - that and shaving foam would probably be the gentlest way. If you’re using creams, make sure and do a patch test first, even on the “sensitive” ones. I used one in my early teens which was meant to be for sensitive skin and I had an horrendous reaction to it.

If you’re going down the waxing route, I’d recommend peelable wax where you melt it and spread it on, then when it firms up, you peel the wax off. Strip wax is harsher and will hurt more.

Toots wrote: »
    If you’re going down the waxing route, I’d recommend peelable wax where you melt it and spread it on, then when it firms up, you peel the wax off. Strip wax is harsher and will hurt more.

may give a try to peelable at some stage, see if she'd accept me doing it for her.
    - have to say in general for the other wax type, think it also depends on the type of wax, and the handler ... then there is the pain threshold. for myself, as adult, such session is very relaxing nowadays, could almost fall asleep; but I've found an excellent beautician that knows her skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

mvl wrote: »
    may give a try to peelable at some stage, see if she'd accept me doing it for her.
    - have to say in general for the other wax type, think it also depends on the type of wax, and the handler ... then there is the pain threshold. for myself, as adult, such session is very relaxing nowadays, could almost fall asleep; but I've found an excellent beautician that knows her skill.

Totally agree. I will only use a salon that uses Lycon wax, the difference in phenomenal. Brazilia expert waxing is the best I've ever found, but I find it difficult to get to town so another local place that uses Lycon too is my backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Would waxing not be overkill for a girl of that age?

Would waxing not be overkill for a girl of that age?
    overkill, don't think so; for now we're only talking about a bit of under arm hair. when she'd be ready for waxing, I would be happy to get hers done too as part of my regular appointments.
    - also think waxing would be better for later if she'd want legs/arms done (not found of laser or shaving myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm a dad, but not a Dad of girls so please feel free to disregard my advice if it's not on point.

Personal grooming and maintenance are very much about personal choices and my 1st bit of advice would be to ensure that your daughter's (all our kids) are aware that it is their body and their call.

I have seen a few posts on here about being too young for a razor.
    From the male perspective, and by that I mean someone who grew up shaving the wrong way and causing myself untold skin rash and worsening my acne for years!
    I'd say just this, show them how to shave.
    Show them how to do it properly, and explain why hair direction and moisturizer is important ;)
    It may well be that your daughter decides that shaving isn't for her, and goes with another method for the long term.
    But...
    For quick fixes, fast grooming or sorting out a hirsute emergency shaving will be the quickest way.
    She will thank you in later life if she can do it properly.

I'd agree with the majority here that waxing and epilation and similar is a bit too full on for a pre-teen.

I'd probably steer her towards Veet sensitive or similar.
    Take the time to tell her (we'll have her mother tell her ;) ) how it works, warn of leaving it too long (painful :( ) and let her know that of she has questions that Mum (or another trusted female relative if Mum isn't around) will be there to answer any questions and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Why is it a hygiene issue? Men seem to manage perfectly fine with underarm hair their whole lives and it's not considered a hygiene issue.

It can be an issue which is why many, many men who engage in sports will trim underarm hair. It is most definitely a potential cause of BO as sweat is trapped in the hair.

OP I would encourage VEET but would also show how to shave properly and second the importance of knowing how to shave with the hair, using good moisturiser and tbh just shaving at the end of a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

Hi OP,

My 12 year old daughter does an activity that involves wearing a leotard & she asked me the other day if she could get rid of her underarm hair. Problem was...she asked me the morning of her competition and like you, I wasn't sure what to do! I've warned her off razors. I think they make the skin really dry and irritable.

I recalled seeing a 'teen' section on a local salons website, so I just had a look, but there's no mention of hair removal, just facials, massages, nails, etc. Would you contact your local, reputable salon and ask their advice? I'm going to give mine a call this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

It really depends if it is fine hair or thick. At that age as soon as you start cutting it can make it worse. Skin or shaver burn would not be nice. If she uses wax then there is a risk of ingrown hairs would increase. The skin can get raw quickly.
    Personally at that age shaving correctly with shaving foam/soap and a good razor would be better. The chemicals in hair removal creams can be quite strong. If it is just a few hairs then cut with small scissors.

My brother started shaving at 12 and was shown how to do it correctly.if you show her the right way she should be fine. Just watch her for a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Veet isn't a great option if you ask me because you've to let the hair grow back between applications. Same with waxing.

Shaving really is the quickest, easiest option for underarms, imo. Literally takes a couple of seconds.

Advertisement