Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something that happened while on day of work getting put in performance log

Options
  • 29-06-2018 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I work in the service industry and I recently had my annual review with the senior manager. During this review it was put to the I refused to cover another member of staff's break a number of weeks back when the person who was supposed to cover it went home sick.

The incident apparently happened while I was on a day off from work and nipped in to pick up something. While there the shift manager asked me to cover a member of staff's break and I said no because I was not hanging around. I stayed on for another few minutes talking to a colleague and then left.

The shift manager then told the senior manager and said they would be adding it to my performance log in due course.

My question is have they got any right to bring up this and try to add it into my performance log when I wasn't rostered to be shift at the time and had no uniform with me?

I'm furious about it as I don't believe what happens on my free time and on a day off from work should be brought into my work performance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I am sure you have a record of which days you were off. Set out the facts in a logical sequence and presumably they'll back off.

PS - not a good idea to go into the workplace when you're off / on leave. Avoid if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

This is obviously just a misunderstanding and can be cleared up.

Write an e-mail to your manager (CC HR) clearly explaining the facts, and ask them to correct the issue on your record.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If this wasn’t a little “joke” during your appraisal and the manager was being serious about your not being available on your off duty, then that is not a long term job prospect for you, you need to look for somewhere else because it’s not a well run establishment at all.
    On a side note, if your in catering/hospitality never ever put your foot near the place on your day off. If you absolutely need to get something then ask an on duty colleague to kindly get it for you and meet him/her outside.
    Never answer the phone to them when your off (unless your looking for overtime) they’re not ringing you to ask you if your enjoying your day off.
    If you give in and go in to cover for someone even once then you will forever be the “go too” mug that’s always being called in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sligo12

Unfortunately, the manager was being very serious about how I wasn't being a team player by not covering the break when another staff member who was due to cover the break had gone home sick.

I left my phone charger there while at work the previous day and the cheap spare one I had at home decided to stop working so wanted to pick it up to be able to charge my phone.

I've been there 4 years and never had an issue like this before, I really want to leave but need the job as I'll be going into my final year of college in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

I hope you didnt sign your review form without your side of the story being on it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement