Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotpress flooded

Options
  • 29-06-2018 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

Guys, some advice please.
    My solar heated cylinder hit 87 c today and a valve blew, flooding the hot press.I presume its a valve - its inserted into the tank near the top which has T/A stamped on it and has a red plastic top on it which does not turn. I got it to stop finally by closing all input valves and running the hot tap. I eventually had to tap a wooden dowel into it to stop the driibble.I tightened a brass nut in the base of the valve as much as I dare but could not stop the flow completely.
    Of course the plumber who put it in no longer does domestic heating systems and is unavailable.
    I'll try an emergency plumber tomorrow but will the valve need replacing or is there anything else I can do ? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Sounds like a safety valve. Unblock it.
    Ideally it’d be piped to outside. Blocking a safety valve could cause an explosion big enough to blow a hole in your house in ideal circumstances

As above you unblock it
    The valve is doing its job and keeping you safe, by interfering with it you are taking risks, run off the cylinder of hot water to keep the water temperature down until you get heip, this is more likely to be a installation error not a safety valve error.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Thanks all. i now see '90' degrees on the valve cover so it simply did its job. It is not piped to the outside so I'll look into that. I have taken out the wooden dowel and opened the valves to the cylinder and all good so far.

Check your cylinder installation instructions as there is a required way to install the pipe work from a safety valve, in the UK the installer must sit a safety course that’s repeated every 5 years and every new installation must be inspected by the local building inspector for safety before a unvented cylinder can be used by a home owner.

Your home insurance won’t usually cover you as the installation would be classed as incompetent

Advertisement