Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone for Shower Seat

Options
  • 29-06-2018 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭

Redoing the ensuite making a wetroom style shower with a built in seat. Looking for 3 small pieces of cut stone for seat, curb and window sill no more than 15mm thick. Possibly grey/black granite or something similar not adverse to water. Sizes approximately:
    Seat: 790 x 350mm
    Curb: 790 x 135mm
    Sill: 365 x 200mm
    Where's best to get them cut/made and what kind of price is reasonable. I'm Dublin 15 based but willing to travel within reason for a good deal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,286 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

google for folk who make headstones for graves
    Have you done the weight calcs?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Where you based?
    I did something similar for window sill and shelf in my bathrrom although i used 35mm.

See this thread for price etc.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057860468

I'll try dig out a pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This sounds like an awful idea, doesnt marble or granite stain from urine.

And retain some of the smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Wouldn't a stone seat be cold to sit on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

google for folk who make headstones for graves
    Have you done the weight calcs?

Not sure of the significance of the weight. Surely cut stone is sold by the amount of cutting/polishing involved rather than the weight
    jmBuildExt wrote: »
    I did something similar for window sill and shelf in my bathrrom although i used 35mm.

See this thread for price etc.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057860468

I'll try dig out a pic.

Thanks, a pic would be good. I could use thicker stone on the seat and curb but am limited with the window sill given the starting point of the glass.
    listermint wrote: »
    This sounds like an awful idea, doesnt marble or granite stain from urine.

And retain some of the smell.

It's for a shower seat, sill and curb so I don't plan on urinating all over it. The toilet will be situated just outside the shower area.
    Marble as far as I'm aware does require some maintenance with sealing so leaving towards granite or quartz.
    Wouldn't a stone seat be cold to sit on?

Yes and I had thought of installing an electric heat pad under the stone but that would take as long to heat up as running some hot water over it or placing a cloth down.
    I could tile all the areas but given the limited amount of bullnose tile available here it would be difficult not to use edging which in turn would be more susceptible to water penetration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,286 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Not sure of the significance of the weight. Surely cut stone is sold by the amount of cutting/polishing involved rather than the weight
    my bad
    i saw 150, not 15, which would make the big piece north of 100 kg:cool:

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Thanks, a pic would be good.
    Only got during construction pics... here you go.

Only got during construction pics... here you go.

Looks like upload didn't complete on those two pics, only see about 3mm of top of the first and nothing in the second

Looks like upload didn't complete on those two pics, only see about 3mm of top of the first and nothing in the second

Re loaded them ...Should be working there now?
    The one on the window sill is actually a bit thick for me too - it goes abit too close to the top of the bottom of the frame..... but I needed the other one to be that thick to cover a mistake on the tiling - so i figured it would be cheaper to get both the same thickness off the same cut.

Re loaded them ...Should be working there now?
    The one on the window sill is actually a bit thick for me too - it goes abit too close to the top of the bottom of the frame..... but I needed the other one to be that thick to cover a mistake on the tiling - so i figured it would be cheaper to get both the same thickness off the same cut.

Thanks, looking good. Looks like the problem is opening such links in Chrome, working fine in other browsers.

• Advertisement

Thanks, looking good. Looks like the problem is opening such links in Chrome, working fine in other browsers.

Working for me on chrome now. They weren't working at all before. I uploaded them again. But on the first download after updating, it failed as per the last time, but i think it might have been something to do with cache etc. All seems grand here now.

Advertisement