Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner surfboard

• 29-06-2018 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, I’ve recently gotten a few lessons and am now planning on buying my first surfboard. I’m a 5”10, 75kg male. I’ve done quite abit of research and seem to be getting all sorts of different answers. So I have decided to question the surfers of Ireland, what size board and what type do you think I should go for? I had been leaning towards an 8ft foamboard but have been put off at the last minute as the internet is giving me all kinds of crazy answers. Any help with picking a size and type would be much appreciated! I’m looking at spending around 200-300 as with the costs of wetsuits etc it sure is expensive. I’ll be surfing in Garretstown and Inchydony if it makes any diffence. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 HeyMister

Check out boards for sale Ireland group on Facebook.
    Plenty of boards will appear in your price range.
    Also, check out Wild Side sports in Bandon or BigSurf.ie in Clon. Lads in there will give good advice.

Buy a minimal, will be easier to paddle through waves as you get comfortable with bigger stuff as you progress.
    Anything from 7'4 to 8'0 with good thickness will be great to learn on, and let you progress also.
    The BIC sport boards are fine beginner boards if you find one. Easy to surf, will last ages.

Whatever you buy, be it a foamie or a minimal, just make sure its not too small, get loads of float, easy to paddle into a wave, and then you'll get more waves and improve faster.

I'm a bit heavier than you, learned on a 7'6" minimal. Loved it. Own an 8ft foamie now too, but for those totally flat summer days, and it still catches a wave. Look out for surf schools selling their foamies, usually can get a good deal, if its damaged repair it with Tek7 or some builders sealant.
    Now i'm flat broke but have loads of boards :D

Hope you get the right board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Would be kinda tempted to get one of these

https://skunkworkssurf.co.uk/

Advertisement