Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Derby Weekend

Options
  • 29-06-2018 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Just opening this to get things cracking for the weekend.:)
    Backed Stacks in the 2nd to win and the 3rd race EW.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭gazza1

Have had a go on ACTIVE APPROACH 8.20.
    Bolger has won the race the last 3 years. Was 2nd to Kalaxana now rated 93 lto beaten 2 1/4L so off 80 must have a chance

GL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Anyone else like Old Persian ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Shemale wrote: »
    Anyone else like Old Persian ?
    Hard to understand how at Ascot he comfortably beat today's close second Rostropovich and was miles behind the same horse today.

With the ownership of the winner Latrobe being the same as last year's Melbourne Cup winner Rekindling, I'd expect it to head to Doncaster for the St Leger and on to Melbourne where it'd have a great chance in the cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭antietam

Was in Newcastle to back Euchen Glen as I was told he would win by my friends who own him,very serious ouch.Watched the Derby and backed The Pentagon and my opinion this horse will win everything over 2m+in time.I admire posters here who see something in the Pentagon as I do but time will tell if we are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

antietam wrote: »
    Was in Newcastle to back Euchen Glen as I was told he would win by my friends who own him,very serious ouch.Watched the Derby and backed The Pentagon and my opinion this horse will win everything over 2m+in time.I admire posters here who see something in the Pentagon as I do but time will tell if we are right.
    Agree about pentagon, but had a look at ledger price and he is gone too short for me . Looked a fairly poor ride to me , 2 furlongs out was far to late to get him going .

• Advertisement

aidankkk wrote: »
    Agree about pentagon, but had a look at ledger price and he is gone too short for me . Looked a fairly poor ride to me , 2 furlongs out was far to late to get him going .

Big player on top of the ground only.Doncaster is usually soft.Next year horse or America,Japan ??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

antietam wrote: »
    Big player on top of the ground only.Doncaster is usually soft.Next year horse or America,Japan ??

Cheltenham :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Slattsy wrote: »
    Cheltenham :pac:

Treble:

Feltham winner in December 2018, King George winner in December 2019, Gold Cup winner 2020.

Piece of piss

Just as well as my persona is told by truth rather than reaching for knowledge that is not understood or acknowledged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Forever together 4/9 out to 8/11..

“The lads” at it again

• Advertisement

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    Forever together 4/9 out to 8/11..

“The lads” at it again

I don't know what they were at, but that winner Urban Fox won like a good thing.

The fact that Haggis sent her spoke volumes and stepping up in trip promised a possible improvement on previous form, but it's yet another big race result that throws the formbook straight out of the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

The fav is an out and out stayer she was a shocking price at today's trip on faster ground when she relished the heavy ground 12f at Epsom. She could easily run in a ledger.

Mgoraf wrote: »
    The fav is an out and out stayer she was a shocking price at today's trip on faster ground when she relished the heavy ground 12f at Epsom. She could easily run in a ledger.

When I saw that she was running in this I was trying to figure out why they wouldn't just keep her for the Irish Oaks, maybe Magic Wand is seen as a good thing for the Oaks although Magic Wand is a speedier better ground type than Forever Together and would have had a great chance in today's race.

It seems that yesterday's beaten favourite Saxon Warrior is to tackle the Juddmonte over 10 1/2f and then the Irish Champion Stakes. The only problem with that is that he was never going to win yesterday's race if it had been at 10f, in fact once again he was nearest at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Magic wand would have had to miss ascot then to run in this. I was also surprised to see her run thought she'd go straight to Irish oaks.

My theory on saxon warrior is that he's a non stayer and his class is just getting him close over this trip. He doesn't have that burst of speed at the end of 12f that he had in the guineas, I think he could have that over 10f.

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Magic wand would have had to miss ascot then to run in this. I was also surprised to see her run thought she'd go straight to Irish oaks.

My theory on saxon warrior is that he's a non stayer and his class is just getting him close over this trip. He doesn't have that burst of speed at the end of 12f that he had in the guineas, I think he could have that over 10f.

O'Brien has had a good few of his Ascot runners winning here this weekend, so maybe Magic Wand could have done it to.

I don't know what's wrong with Saxon Warrior, whether he doesn't stay 12f even though he does stay 12f is a very hard question with a very simple answer. He stays all day, every 12f race he has run in he has been tapped for toe until the end of the race when he begins to close on the leaders.

At no 9-10f stage of either Derby has he looked to be ready to produce a devestating turn of foot. I'd be very wary of touching him again this year.

O'Brien has had three or four horses in a row who maybe looked up to winning a Derby who subsequently went backwards. Us Army Ranger 2nd at Epsom never regained that form after. Idaho 3rd at Epsom never fulfilled that promise either and has mostly been a bookies friend,. Cliffs Of Moher is another "unlucky 2nd" at Epsom who "didn't stay" who has been another bookies mate since then. This year Saxon Warrior is beginning to fill that failure role, although as a 2,000 Guineas winner and close third yesterday he's in a class above the other nearly horses. I hope Happily doesn't join the list of other O'Brien horses such as Churchill who lost their way after the Classics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Was at the Curragh Saturday.
    A couple of thoughts. I have outlined numerous times in the past in different threads my worry of Saxon Warrior staying 12f mainly due to the fact that he is built like a miler. Regardless of pedigree which isnt an exact science he just looks a miler to me. Maybe he will get 10f but id be even wary of that. I think it is his class and that alone which is getting him to the finish in these races over further. I get people mentioning that he seems to be staying on at the death but tbh it looked to me that the others were tiring and he was just plugging on at the same pace at no point did he look like winning.
    He did get a bit worked up also which could have played its part. But he was without doubt the best looking horse in the field on Paddock appearances and id be disappointing if he didn't get back on track next time.
    Im not entirely sure what to think of the other 2 in the frame. I bet Rostropovich in Ascot on the basis that he would improve for good ground basically due to his action on previous tries on bad ground. He ran a nice race but was hammered by Old Persian. Wish id kept the faith as i seen plenty of 40/1 around in the morning. The winner tbh i couldnt have picked out on the back of a maiden win and the price was about 10 points to short. But it was a great story for Joseph and Donnacha. Aidan looked happier than ive ever seen him even when he has won the race. What a legend of a man he is.
    The front 3 were the beneficiaries of by far the best rides. The pace was slow and both Latrobe and SW were happy to track that slow pace before challenging in the straight. Donnacha attacked at the perfect time and the second was very game. It was a great finish and even though SW was within a length im still clinging on to the belief he doesnt stay. But time will tell!!

What an absolute legend of a horse Caspian Prince is. Second in the Rockingham off 114 is ridiculous stuff.
    St Patricks Day got a nice introduction for Aidan. He was getting plenty of weight but i think he will take a massive leap forward from that run and id expect him to win a group race before the end of the year. I assume the plan might be to take in a breeders cup race. Maybe the Prix De La Foret also could be an option.
    I didnt really have any strong takeaways other than the Derby and will have to rewatch some a lot of the races this week.

45356-medium.jpeg

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/bloodstock-latest/latrobe-caps-tremendous-spell-for-camelot-with-irish-derby-victory/337378

Stays all day, another half a furlong and he'd be there :)In fairness the horse grew an awful lot over the winter and maybe he needs a bit of time to mature into his full potential.

45097-medium.jpeg

https://www.racingpost.com/news/should-saxon-warrior-really-be-favourite-for-the-irish-derby/337241

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

tryfix wrote: »
    45356-medium.jpeg

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/bloodstock-latest/latrobe-caps-tremendous-spell-for-camelot-with-irish-derby-victory/337378

Stays all day, another half a furlong and he'd be there :)In fairness the horse grew an awful lot over the winter and maybe he needs a bit of time to mature into his full potential.

45097-medium.jpeg

https://www.racingpost.com/news/should-saxon-warrior-really-be-favourite-for-the-irish-derby/337241

Time will tell. haha
    Id put his close finish down to the other 2 being not much good rather than him being a guaranteed stayer. But we will find out in time i suppose.

Advertisement