Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best amp type for me

• 28-06-2018 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

i am looking for an amp for my electric guitar but i am a little confused by the amount of different types.

whats the difference between a solid state and a tube amp?

i only want an amp to practice with at home i will never gig so what type would suit me?

i will be mostly be playing metal music if that makes a difference

budget is around 70ish

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'll let you google the difference between tube and solid state, others have better explained this. But for your budget I would just forget tube amps, it's not really a thing in the very low end of the range.

Something like this would be what I'd be looking at:

https://www.thomann.de/ie/vox_vx_i.htm

Very favourable reviews, a do-it-all option. It will model most styles of amp which should cover classic rock to metal, with a lot of variation in between. It has built in effects and a tuner too. Plenty loud for bedroom use (and a 'power level' dial to get volume really low if need be).

There are others in this kind of price range, but I think I'd be going to see if I could find one of these in a shop, or listen to video reviews online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

I'll let you google the difference between tube and solid state, others have better explained this. But for your budget I would just forget tube amps, it's not really a thing in the very low end of the range.

Something like this would be what I'd be looking at:

https://www.thomann.de/ie/vox_vx_i.htm

Very favourable reviews, a do-it-all option. It will model most styles of amp which should cover classic rock to metal, with a lot of variation in between. It has built in effects and a tuner too. Plenty loud for bedroom use (and a 'power level' dial to get volume really low if need be).

There are others in this kind of price range, but I think I'd be going to see if I could find one of these in a shop, or listen to video reviews online.

that looks like a savage little amp but i can not stretch the budget that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

As was already said, for that tight a budget go to Adverts, and have a look at amps under €100.

If you're playing metal it would be nice to get an amp with built-in effects, or save up for a distortion pedal, but an amp on it's own will get you started anyway. If it's only for home use, a headphone jack might be nice.

https://www.adverts.ie/guitar-amps/yamaha-8w-amp/14801006

what about something like that?

or i seen an orange crush 12L amp on fb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

For metal id look for used Peavey's

• Advertisement

ended up buying a peavey rage 158 amp for 45 euro on adverts.

thanks everyone for your recommendations

Advertisement