Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So UCD has banned the sale of sugary drinks

Options
  • 28-06-2018 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

UCD has apparently decided to ban the sale of sugary drinks that are carbonated, for the sake of our health. I suppose it wouldn't really matter if UCD wasn't massively isolated, geographically speaking. UCD having a monopoly on retail in the area is a concern if it can make arbitrary decisions based upon its particular moralistic outlook.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

I can already imagine the whispers around the Newman about bootleg cola in the escape tunnels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

There's what, maybe a handful of small shops and vending machines in UCD?
    Plenty of places for people to buy anything they want on their commute to college. No big deal.

I don't agree that its moralistic. It's proven that sugary drinks are harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Back in my day (1990s) the Students Union banned Nestle products due to the company's sale of powdered milk to African mothers.

They kept cigarettes on sale, though.

More dangerous..... A Kit Kat or a cancer stick?

Student Unions have to be seen on the 'right side of history'

Plenty of places for people to buy anything they want on their commute to college. No big deal.

They need to close the bar too. Alcohol is harmful

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Back in my day (1990s) the Students Union banned Nestle products due to the company's sale of powdered milk to African mothers.

They kept cigarettes on sale, though.

More dangerous..... A Kit Kat or a cancer stick?

Student Unions have to be seen on the 'right side of history'

You answered the question yourself. They banned it in protest, not because of chocolate. AFAIK selling smokes are banned too.

Fair point about the alcohol, but at the end of the day there's nothing stopping anyone sourcing whatever outside of campus and bringing it in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

What’s the big deal? I’d understand if it was booze but to cry over sugary drinks?

It’ll be better for your studies that you won’t be crashing around 2 o clock from drinking Red Bull and monster all morning.

I see idiots walking onto my site every morning carrying a Red Bull like it’s a badge of honour that they deserve for not going to bed at a reasonable hour and instead of waiting until their body wakes up naturally they have to chug a can of pish that should only be given to powerlifters before their third lift attempt. This way they can crash a half hour later and have a nap.
    When you see lads in their late thirties with black marks where their teeth should be chances are they chugged the same slurp you are complaining is being taken away.

So now that I’ve got that off my chest do you really care op or are you like one of them feminists that doesn’t really believe in feminism but just wants to be part of a mass movement?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

16 restaurants, shops, cafes. About the number you'd expect for some 30 thousand people.

Yes, if you live in town and get the 39A. Not so much for many people, and certainly not if you live on campus.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Salt is "proven to be harmful", but removing it from all food outlets would be taken a moral stance on the matter. Same idea if butter was no longer available in rolls because UCD didn't believe that people should be allowed to purchase it. By moral I mean the premise that it is ethically sound to make the decision for other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Was this voted on by the students? It's not a huge deal but I'd be pissed on a day like today. I don't drink enough of anything other than water for it to impact my health but there's nothing like an ice cold coke in the sun on a day like today.

A more sensible approach would have been to make water freely available on campus or at least reduce it's price below that of sugary drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

GarIT wrote: »
    Was this voted on by the students?

Course not.
    What’s the big deal? I’d understand if it was booze but to cry over sugary drinks?

Just you wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

Isn’t it the case that the sugar free versions are still available, like Coke Zero?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not as harmful as a sedentary lifestyle. UCD needs to take the initiative on this and enforce daily mandatory 5k runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Colleges are increasingly treating their students like a load of overgrown children. What kind of losers are going to be coming out of colleges in the years to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I don't agree with it. The students and staff are adults who should be allowed to make their own decisions about what drinks they buy. It's not like the smoking ban, which at least had the excuse of preventing harm to others from second-hand smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Wrong.

The amount of sugary drinks sold is gone done but our health has gotten worse.

Nothing wrong with moderation or choice. Next youll have a college banning meat just because someone decides meat is bad for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Mr.H wrote: »
    Wrong.

The amount of sugary drinks sold is gone done but our health has gotten worse.

Nothing wrong with moderation or choice. Next youll have a college banning meat just because someone decides meat is bad for you.

I wouldn't be surprised if they banned meat down the line. The academics in this country are the ones with the worst ideas and incidentally the ones who run the country too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The academics in this country are the ones with the worst ideas and incidentally the ones who run the country too.

I wish this were true but it's really not they don't have a say. The people that run this country are the people that know someone they are there because daddy's money paid for it.

Student Unions are merely launchpads for a career in Irish politics or journalism.

Next week, the lake will need to be drained because having water in a drought is indulgent and bourgeois.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

Do UCD really feel that the students need to be babysitted this way?

I would have thought when you reached Uni you could make your own decisions on what you consume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Students Union has been mentioned a couple of times. I don't think this was a Students Union initiative.

http://trinitynews.ie/ucd-ban-the-sale-of-sugary-drinks/
    Odhran Lawlor, UCD’s Hospitality Services Manager, initiated the removal of sugary drinks. Lawlor first secured the agreement of campus retail outlets. The initiative was overseen by Healthy UCD, a committee set up in 2016 to make UCD a healthy environment for students and staff.

Do UCD really feel that the students need to be babysitted this way?

I would have thought when you reached Uni you could make your own decisions on what you consume.

People are idiots when it comes to food. I'm happy to let the government or whoever restrict unhealthy food for the national good.

• Advertisement

Students Union has been mentioned a couple of times. I don't think this was a Students Union initiative.

http://trinitynews.ie/ucd-ban-the-sale-of-sugary-drinks/

I can't believe a Hospitality Manager would kill a 'cash cow' and the retail outlets would agree. It makes no commercial sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Colleges are increasingly treating their students like a load of overgrown children. What kind of losers are going to be coming out of colleges in the years to come?

And what will happen to then when they leave UCD and are suddenly confronted with the temptation of all those sugary drinks? They'll be dead within a year from diabetes!

Advertisement