Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Par three Nine Hole courses, Dublin to Oughterard

Options
  • 28-06-2018 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

Looking for assistance on 9-hole par three courses. I've been asked by a lady if there are any such courses from Dublin via Athlone, through Galway and then on to Oughterard. Anyone know any stand-alone par three courses or those attached to hotels? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Looking for assistance on 9-hole par three courses. I've been asked by a lady if there are any such courses from Dublin via Athlone, through Galway and then on to Oughterard. Anyone know any stand-alone par three courses or those attached to hotels? Thanks
    Around Dubln, the ones I know are The Burrow in Kilternan (a glorified ptch and putt really), Deerpark in Howth and a bit further afield, Glen Mills in Newtownmountkennedy (which is a proper test imo).

Haven't played anything else outside Dublin or Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Elm Hall in Celbridge is 9 hole.
    Usually takes about 2 hours to get around.
    Easy access from the N4

It's not par 3 though.
    Liffey valley at Leixlip is par 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

In Balheary in Swords there is an 18 hole par 3 course. If I remember rightly the holes range from about 90 yards to 180 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

There is also another 18 hole par 3 course by the great name of Woodview Country Club just outside Athlone on the R362 just past Monksland Business Park.

Edit - Sorry ignore that, pretty sure it's a pitch and putt now I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Malahide Castle has a par 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

The Mulk wrote: »
    Elm Hall in Celbridge

Played out here a few times, last was just a few days ago. Lovely spot in great condition. Greens are lovely and soft at the moment (watered) but most of the fairways are still hard like everywhere else. So you can fire at the flag and it will stop softly or bump it up the fairway.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

9 hole Par 3 at Cregboy in Galway

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Played out here a few times, last was just a few days ago. Lovely spot in great condition. Greens are lovely and soft at the moment (watered) but most of the fairways are still hard like everywhere else. So you can fire at the flag and it will stop softly or bump it up the fairway.

I usually bring the kids for Pitch and Putt up there now.
    Must head up again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

RoadRunner wrote: »

You must be playing the ' large ' pitch and putt. I play the smaller one every Sunday in a comp , its like concreate ......although I haven't been scoring too badly

Tot the OP , Athgoe par 3 is one of the best I have ever played , it is 18 holes par 3 with a couple of them round the 200m mark ..... great views over Dublin as well !!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

This is Woodview and this is Thomastown Pitch n putt in Athlone i was telling you about Kevin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Davidth88 wrote: »
    You must be playing the ' large ' pitch and putt. I play the smaller one every Sunday in a comp , its like concreate ......although I haven't been scoring too badly

Tot the OP , Athgoe par 3 is one of the best I have ever played , it is 18 holes par 3 with a couple of them round the 200m mark ..... great views over Dublin as well !!

I thought I heard someone mention recently that Athgoe had closed down, but I may have misheard?

I thought I heard someone mention recently that Athgoe had closed down, but I may have misheard?

God it would be a shame if it has..... might take a spin up there at the weekend and take a nose

Is there not 2 P&P and then a 9 hole full golf, with par 4's and 5's, or are you referring to that as the large P&P.

The Mulk wrote:
    Is there not 2 P&P and then a 9 hole full golf, with par 4's and 5's, or are you referring to that as the large P&P.

There are two pitch and putt... however the large one ( left out of club house) is actually too long to be classed as official pitch and putt by ppui standards. We play the short one every Sunday. There is a proper 9 hole golf course as well of course. Amazingly the golf course used to be packed on a Sunday but Seamus lost quite a bit of land when the railway was expanded .... and lost quite a few members too.

I think the max length of a hole officially is 70m

There are two pitch and putt... however the large one ( left out of club house) is actually too long to be classed as official pitch and putt by ppui standards. We play the short one every Sunday. There is a proper 9 hole golf course as well of course. Amazingly the golf course used to be packed on a Sunday but Seamus lost quite a bit of land when the railway was expanded .... and lost quite a few members too.

I think the max length of a hole officially is 70m

I've never played the small P&P must try it out.
    Is the bar/coffee shop still open

The Mulk wrote:
    I've never played the small P&P must try it out. Is the bar/coffee shop still open

Well the club house is ... to call it a coffee shop would be a stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ballaghaderreen,Boyle, Castlerea and Strokestown in Co.Roscommon, Dunmore in Co. Galway and Ballyhaunis in Co. Mayo.

Apologies, they are all 9 hole Golf clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

drove by today and had a look: "course closed, permanently"
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Marley Park in Rathfarnham, Dublin has the artificial 9 hole par 3...

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Glenlo Abbey in Galway has a nine hole course.
    https://www.glenloabbeyhotel.ie/en/golf-resort-galway/

• Advertisement
Advertisement