Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out-of Print Leaving Cert French Book

Options
  • 28-06-2018 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I'm trying to get hold of a copy of the LC French Gram book Grammaire Appliquée.

It has only very recently gone out of print and has seemingly been recalled by the publishers (Folens) and presumably pulped (as Folens don't even have a copy). Really frustrating as there were copies in Easons up until very recently and I had intended to pick one up.

Is there anybody (A French teacher) who might have a second copy? It was a pretty popular book for nearly 20 years so I'm hoping there might be a few copies lying around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Jaygon2009 wrote: »
    I'm trying to get hold of a copy of the LC French Gram book Grammaire Appliquée.

It has only very recently gone out of print and has seemingly been recalled by the publishers (Folens) and presumably pulped (as Folens don't even have a copy). Really frustrating as there were copies in Easons up until very recently and I had intended to pick one up.

Is there anybody (A French teacher) who might have a second copy? It was a pretty popular book for nearly 20 years so I'm hoping there might be a few copies lying around.

Just did a Google search seems to be stocked here http://shop.thebookcentre.ie/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=0861216334

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Jaygon2009

Unfortunately it's not there. Or any of the other online sites where it is listed for sale (I found 3)

The books were recalled in early 2018 and went back to the publisher to be pulped. The shops in question haven't updated their websites.

Unfortunately it's not there. Or any of the other online sites where it is listed for sale (I found 3)

The books were recalled in early 2018 and went back to the publisher to be pulped. The shops in question haven't updated their websites.

Apologies, I went through order process so assumed it was in stock. May I ask why this book is so good? I always do my own notes and textbook for exercises. I never saw looked into that book. The junior cert one isn't too bad.

Why I'm getting to the payment page if they don't have it? I'm sure their website is connected to a database.

I always thought that the standard was quite high and quite liked the layout, progression and the practical exercises.

I used it mostly for resourcing support work rather than using the text as a page-to-page standalone text.

My copy went AWOL before Christmas and now I'm kicking myself that I didn't replace it straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

OP, Came across this advt if you wish to try it:

http://www.schooldays.ie/schooldays.nsf/0/060AEB92D1F823A2802582AC0035556D

Well seeing as I got so far in the order process, I seem to have ordered the book ;) as I received confirmation email from book company. I hope it's worth the €20!!! I'll sell it on to you OP :)

By all means, I'd buy it from you.

I did ring the customer service section and they told me that the book wasn't in stock but that they could order it from the publisher. Apparently the link on their website (which is maintained by an outside team) is linked up to the available titles on the Folens website. All the titles that they order-in regularly, that is. Checking, she confirmed (what I already knew) that Folens didn't have a copy.

But if the site allowed you to order it, I'm intrigued! Maybe there is a copy in their back store or something. Will you keep me posted?

@chinwag ; I'll check that link out too! Thanks :-)

By all means, I'd buy it from you.

I did ring the customer service section and they told me that the book wasn't in stock but that they could order it from the publisher. Apparently the link on their website (which is maintained by an outside team) is linked up to the available titles on the Folens website. All the titles that they order-in regularly, that is. Checking, she confirmed (what I already knew) that Folens didn't have a copy.

But if the site allowed you to order it, I'm intrigued! Maybe there is a copy in their back store or something. Will you keep me posted?

@chinwag ; I'll check that link out too! Thanks :-)

I'm intrigued as well - I went to the payment screen but did not enter any card details but I had to sign up for the site and then I received an email confirming my order unless they accept cash on delivery. I'll keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

If that fails the national library seem to have it in their catalogue.

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000261841

It's available for viewing. Maybe you could be permitted to photocopy ?

• Advertisement

Big thank you to all the advice!

Following Chinwag's link, I managed to get the book second-hand :-)

Really delighted!

Advertisement