Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Camping

Options
  • 28-06-2018 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Any good places to camp in the Leinster region, preferably in the Wiclow, Kildare region but can be outside that too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a separate sub-forum for Wild Camping here ... https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1619

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Up the mountains, along the canals, loads of places really.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

I saw a lot of tents at the top of the waterfall at Powerscourt at the weekend. Seems like a popular spot.

I saw a lot of tents at the top of the waterfall at Powerscourt at the weekend. Seems like a popular spot.

Private estate and they won’t hesitate to get you up and out in the middle of the night. Camping there is only with explicit permission. Likely to have been the IGG (Girl Guides) or similar if it was a group.

[QUOTE
    Originally Posted by happyfriday74 View Post
    Private estate and they won’t hesitate to get you up and out in the middle of the night. Camping there is only with explicit permission. Likely to have been the IGG (Girl Guides) or similar if it was a group.][/QUOTE]

No seemed to be tourists from what I could make out. They did look well organised all the same.

I also saw a fair few tents near the Glencullen river where I thought it was forbidden. A lot of young lads although there was no mess or anything.

Funnily enough two men asked us a bit further along while we were walking past quite directly asked "Are you camping here?" which we replied no(we were just day hiking).

It was only later in the day I thought maybe they were sussing us out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

JayZeus wrote: »
    Private estate and they won’t hesitate to get you up and out in the middle of the night. Camping there is only with explicit permission. Likely to have been the IGG (Girl Guides) or similar if it was a group.

Think you are confusing locations - by top of Powerscourt waterfall, poster probably means above the Watergates, outside the forest. This is just about part of Powerscourt Estate verging on WMNP lands - if you just stayed an overnight there, doubt if anyone would disturb you. Below the waterfall in the Deerpark is managed for paying visitors to waterfall etc. The scout site is/was further back near Oonagh in the estate.

Though larger numbers camping at above location would be undesirable. Unlikely to be 'louts' though as that place takes a bit of effort to get to :)

Yeah i was pretty sure they were in the WMNP lands. They were about 50 yards upstream from the footbridge you cross over the river when walking the wicklow way .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

The problem with that site is it gets infested by midgies . Although any hill in this weather at that time and thats not a bad bet near water. Just something to watch out for

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

midge levels seem to be down this year, was out 2 nights wed and thursday near roundwood and glendalough and it was flies that i found a pain, hovering little bastards. For what seems like the first time the inside of the tent was perfectly dry following morning , the air must be drier than normal.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 64,922 ✭✭✭✭unkel

trellheim wrote: »
    The problem with that site is it gets infested by midgies . Although any hill in this weather at that time and thats not a bad bet near water. Just something to watch out for

You need to go higher up. I camped at lough Cleevaun a few years ago on the hottest day of the year right beside the lake and there were no insects at all. That's at about 700m elevation though - there might only be one lake (in Kerry) higher than that one. I generally find that once you're above the tree levels (above 550m or so), you're in the clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

unkel wrote: »
    You need to go higher up. I camped at lough Cleevaun a few years ago on the hottest day of the year right beside the lake and there were no insects at all. That's at about 700m elevation though - there might only be one lake (in Kerry) higher than that one. I generally find that once you're above the tree levels (above 550m or so), you're in the clear

Its the high alright, When I was young and stupid,I walked across it, one winter.

Good point about the treeline and midges, Never though about it like that, Been moithered at the bottom of the Fraughen Rock Waterfall, but never at the top.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just checking dates......3rd. Sept. last year, helping with an Irish Ramblers intro hike, Camaderry top, swarms of midges in a dull, misty, foggy morning....@686m.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,922 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It's extremely boggy there. Stagnant water is ideal for mosquitoes / midges. That said I'm surprised they are around at those heights.

Advertisement