Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Central Heating System Unused Long Term

Options
  • 28-06-2018 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

3 Bed Semi where oil heating was not used for 7 years . Old lady used storage heaters. Now her daughter coming back to Ireland in September and she wants to get oil heating working. Will the oil left in the tank be usable after all this time ? Will the boiler be a big job to get going again ?. She tells me it was working fine before she got heaters . I told her it could be expensive to get it running again. Think tank is about a quarter full still . Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I can't comment on how easy to get it going again, however the reasons for why the mother abandoned it and moved to electric heating should be understood - was there a fundamental issue with the oil system?
    Might be time for some upgrading..

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Dardania wrote: »
    I can't comment on how easy to get it going again, however the reasons for why the mother abandoned it and moved to electric heating should be understood - was there a fundamental issue with the oil system?
    Might be time for some upgrading..

no , she didn't want to run out of oil and pay a big bill . She came from rural cottage with storage heaters !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Heating circulation system will need to be checked. If there was the correct amount of inhibitor in it it might be ok. Next the Oil tank checked for contamination and structural integrity. Oil Line cleared and new filters. Burner and especially burner pump checked. Oil boiler checked to see that it hasn’t rusted too much. If all that is ok, then you’re good to go.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Wearb wrote: »
    Heating circulation system will need to be checked. If there was the correct amount of inhibitor in it it might be ok. Next the Oil tank checked for contamination and structural integrity. Oil Line cleared and new filters. Burner and especially burner pump checked. Oil boiler checked to see that it hasn’t rusted too much. If all that is ok, then you’re good to go.

Much appreciated Wearb

Advertisement