Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to stream movies online legally.

Options
  • 28-06-2018 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

Wanted to watch black panther tonight.

only place i could find to rent it or buy digitaly is google play, but got a movie recently and its quality was poor enough seemed more optimised to be used on a mobile.

Anyway does anyone know a good place to get a hd quality copy of new release movies online for rent(preferably) or to buy.

I honestly cant believe its so hard to do, sad thing is i could pirate a hd copy in a few minutes but its actually harder to get a bloody legal copy.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Google Play would be your best bet I think. What were you watching it on? A Chromecast or YouTube app on PS4 are good options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The iTunes store should have it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Wheety wrote: »
    Google Play would be your best bet I think. What were you watching it on? A Chromecast or YouTube app on PS4 are good options.

On a pc connected to a 60" tv using hdmi.
    Might be worth a shot again i suppose, its only €4.99 to rent so worth a punt.

The iTunes store should have it too.

Ah never thought of that.
    I'll check it out thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Sky too if you were subscriber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

jcd5971 wrote: »
    On a pc connected to a 60" tv using hdmi.
    Might be worth a shot again i suppose, its only €4.99 to rent so worth a punt.

Laptop connected to Wifi? I have my PS4 connected by Ethernet cable and the quality was grand on a couple of movies I rented through Google Play.

Although the Chromecast used to work ok through Wifi.

Pc wired to router

Quality was fairly good.

Annoying black bars at top and bottom of screen though.

And the player had no options at all just a fullscreen toggle.

On the whole fairly underwhelmed with Google play.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,369 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rakuten.tv also has it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Quality was fairly good.

And the player had no options at all just a fullscreen toggle.

On the whole fairly underwhelmed with Google play.

What do you mean by black bars? Maybe there was an additional issue, but Black Panther has a widescreen aspect ratio so black bars at the top and bottom would be the correct way of displaying the film :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

If those "black bars" were not there you would not be seeing the full film as shot like you would see it in the cinema.

The film's aspect ratio is 2.39:1. A TV or device is only 16:9 which = 1.78:1 so you can see just how much of the film is missing with no black bars.

A brief example. A scene where two people are talking with one actor to the left of the shot and the other to the right. Without the black bars you will only see two noses talking to each other.

TV3, TG4 and RTE are notorious for broadcasting widescreen films in the wrong aspect ratio. That's why I never watch films on those channels.

Mebuntu wrote: »
    TV3, TG4 and RTE are notorious for broadcasting widescreen films in the wrong aspect ratio. That's why I never watch films on those channels.

To be fair to them, they can only work with what they are given. TG4 have a number of gorgeous HD versions of some classics westerns that haven't been seen since the days of VHS but sadly they are from HD masters from a time before widescreen was a thing and as such, they are forced to broadcast them in 4:3.

I actually raised this with a Netflix exec a number of years back and his answers was that when they buy the rights to a film they expect the best possible version to be delivered but often they are given files taken from older masters which is why you often see older films presented in 4:3. I actually spent a good 20 minutes recently trying to make a film on DVD from the early days of the format that was shot for a theatrical release but presented in 4:3 on DVD look like an actual film on a 4K TV. Took a bit of work but was able to get it into 16:9 without making it look garbage, so many great films are still without a proper respectful release.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

If your TV is a smart one, you can rent movies through YouTube as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Mebuntu wrote: »
    If those "black bars" were not there you would not be seeing the full film as shot like you would see it in the cinema.

The film's aspect ratio is 2.39:1. A TV or device is only 16:9 which = 1.78:1 so you can see just how much of the film is missing with no black bars.

A brief example. A scene where two people are talking with one actor to the left of the shot and the other to the right. Without the black bars you will only see two noses talking to each other.

Just to point out also that not every film is 2.39:1. For example, the first Avengers was 1.78:1 in which case you'll see no black bars because the film's aspect ratio matches the TV's

Advertisement