Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timetable woes

Options
  • 27-06-2018 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Received next years timetable and there are a few new subjects on it for me that will require learning new syllabi etc

Just wondering do teachers timetables change each year? Or are they really just standard each year!? and have you ever 'refused' to teach a subject that you are not qualified for that has appeared on your timetable?

I feel that sometimes rocking the boat is not an option but interested in opinions??

Hope everyone is enjoying their holidays!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Ugh that is difficult to deal with all right. Are they very different from your own subject area? Like you in the past, I've just had to get on with what I'm given. I quite enjoyed one subject I was given, more so than my own in the end. I know that's no help to you though. At least you have time to do some research( albeit on your holidays).

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭WWMRD

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Ugh that is difficult to deal with all right. Are they very different from your own subject area? Like you in the past, I've just had to get on with what I'm given. I quite enjoyed one subject I was given, more so than my own in the end. I know that's no help to you though. At least you have time to do some research( albeit on your holidays).

I've done the usual CSPE and SPHE before but thought my time with them were long in the past.....new subjects are completely not even on my spectrum and one is a core subject! Plenty of other teachers on staff with the subjects so I'm just a bit confused!

At least there is some time to plan....sure couldn't be sitting out in that heat anyway haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

No I don't think it's the norm at all to have a completely new subject on your time table without any consultation.

Would you ring principal tomorrow and see are you actually teaching it or is it just resource or something?

No I don't think it's the norm at all to have a completely new subject on your time table without any consultation.

Would you ring principal tomorrow and see are you actually teaching it or is it just resource or something?

Yeah I assumed my timetable would be similar as this year but obviously not!

Principal is gone now from school until results in August so no contact!

I suppose it says that timetables are subject to change on the letter....ummm plan or not plan that is the question!

Thanks for replies :-)

Plan anyway. More often that not there will be minor changes but not major changes. Is it another science subject but you have other science subjects ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Are u registered in the subject or even a similar subject or is it an off the wall request??

Plan anyway. More often that not there will be minor changes but not major changes. Is it another science subject but you have other science subjects ?

No it's not another science subject. I only have science and biology to Leaving cert.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Are u registered in the subject or even a similar subject or is it an off the wall request??

No not registered for subjects at all, one of them is a complete off the wall request the other is maths! I have CSPE as well and not registered for that (it's seen as a filler in our school unfortunately!)

Just didn't think I'd be looking at teaching subject I'm neither qualified or experienced in!!

I wonder is it LS English?

I wonder is it LS English?

Sorry I don't want to say as it might give me away! It's not something I would have even thought I could teach. Had a look at the syllabus and it involves project work/portfolios etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

WWMRD wrote: »
    Sorry I don't want to say as it might give me away! It's not something I would have even thought I could teach. Had a look at the syllabus and it involves project work/portfolios etc etc

Well I suppose you have to wait to speak to your principal. If he/she is unwilling to change your timetabled subjects, a strongly worded letter to the BOM taking no responsibility for student results as you are unqualified in the area will probably change your timetable. Have you contacted your union?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Yeah I assumed my timetable would be similar as this year but obviously not!

Principal is gone now from school until results in August so no contact!

I suppose it says that timetables are subject to change on the letter....ummm plan or not plan that is the question!

Thanks for replies :-)

I would take the 'subject to change' clause to mean that you might not actually have say 1st year maths as timetabled, you might have second years instead, not that you would be expected to teach 2 new subjects.
    That is ridiculous!
    Are they trying to give you more hours for CID or anything?

I think it's very unfair on you and in students to have you teaching subjects you are not qualified to teach.
    Also. Other teachers in the subject department may justifiable be put out/ annoyed you are teaching that subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

This is common in my school because there just are no teachers of certain subjects. It's strange if there are enough qualified subject teachers there though. I am Maths and Science and have taught Irish, French and Home Ec against my will. Home Ec was a nightmare. Most years French, Spanish and Home Ec are taught by people with no qualification in the subject in my school. Maths has been the same for the past two years. There are just no applicants so what can they do?I have now left so another 18h of Maths to fill for August.

Well I suppose you have to wait to speak to your principal. If he/she is unwilling to change your timetabled subjects, a strongly worded letter to the BOM taking no responsibility for student results as you are unqualified in the area will probably change your timetable. Have you contacted your union?

Yeah I'm going to see if I catch hold of the principal first. I like the idea of a letter to the BOM :-) thanks!

I would take the 'subject to change' clause to mean that you might not actually have say 1st year maths as timetabled, you might have second years instead, not that you would be expected to teach 2 new subjects.
    That is ridiculous!
    Are they trying to give you more hours for CID or anything?

I think it's very unfair on you and in students to have you teaching subjects you are not qualified to teach.
    Also. Other teachers in the subject department may justifiable be put out/ annoyed you are teaching that subject.

I have 22 hour CID so not making up hours or anything!

That's the reason I'm concerned about it all as other teachers are more than qualified and have been given the subject I'm qualified for on their timetables! It's a mess really! Had a chat with other teachers and I'm not the only one with a few suprises!

Maybe someone needs a refresher course in timetable planning!!!

Yeah I'm going to see if I catch hold of the principal first. I like the idea of a letter to the BOM :-) thanks!

Yeah everything is paper work nowadays. If I have a student who should be doing ordinary level - I always put it into school reports so that you are backed up when results come in August and there is disappointment - you advised on several occasions to drop level but they wouldn't. I think the threat to principal would be enough but if you're forced to take on new subjects - I wouldn't back down - you will have covered yourself. I presume you have CID?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Yeah everything is paper work nowadays. If I have a student who should be doing ordinary level - I always put it into school reports so that you are backed up when results come in August and there is disappointment - you advised on several occasions to drop level but they wouldn't. I think the threat to principal would be enough but if you're forced to take on new subjects - I wouldn't back down - you will have covered yourself. I presume you have CID?

Maybe start with a conversation before you start issuing threats. Unless you're sure that none of the staff are moving a June timetable can become a work of fiction.

I would say try to talk to the principal and see what's going on. A letter to the board will achieve nothing at this point except to annoy people.

That being said a heads up would have been nice in fairness!

Maybe start with a conversation before you start issuing threats. Unless you're sure that none of the staff are moving a June timetable can become a work of fiction.

I would say try to talk to the principal and see what's going on. A letter to the board will achieve nothing at this point except to annoy people.

That being said a heads up would have been nice in fairness!

Yes I said that - there's no point rushing in all guns firing - speak first an see what principal says.

I only said to write a letter to back up the OPs concern if they are forced to teach the subject which they are not qualified in. The OPs concerns are then noted if there are complaints from parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I have now left so another 18h of Maths to fill for August.
    Good luck with your change of direction Philip Loose Platypus. Their loss. The fact that years later you were still on 18 hours is telling.

Good luck with your change of direction Arlessienne. Their loss. The fact that years later you were still on 18 hours is telling.

I second that! I hope you still contribute here!! Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Would it be an administration mistake?

To thine own self be true

Would it be an administration mistake?

We will have to wait and see :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Good luck with your change of direction Arlessienne. Their loss. The fact that years later you were still on 18 hours is telling.

Thanks. But I was on 22 hours - the rest of my timetable would usually be Science and they have enough teachers to cover that.

Advertisement