Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No shorts allowed

Options
  • 27-06-2018 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Seen a fella get booted from the site for having shorts on today. Why must we bake, what is the basis of this rule? There’s laborers running up and down stairs all day carrying stuff with the job near finished. What is the reason for this rule?

MOD NOTE: This thread is going too far off topic. I will consider issuing warnings if there are any further attempts to drag away.
    Just inserting this here so that new visitors are aware of this caution.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Seen a fella get booted from the site for having shorts on today. Why must we bake, what is the basis of this rule? There’s laborers running up and down stairs all day carrying stuff with the job near finished. What is the reason for this rule?
    Could be concerns about getting burnt.
    And if there are Chemicals in use on the site, could be another reason.
    But probably some H&S officer on a power trip

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't do site work but I'm I'm shorts from March /April through to Oct /Nov. I like the comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

It’s as a result of an EU directive in place since 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

FourFourFM wrote: »
    It’s as a result of an EU directive in place since 2013.
    Which one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Dardania wrote:
    Which one?

The one that says you can't wear shorts on site :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

As a matter of interest can I wear tracksuit bottoms. Light ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

As a matter of interest can I wear tracksuit bottoms. Light ones?

The EU directive allows for that but not shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

Call BS on this EU directive.
    Worked on many sites including RCSI in Dublin ( Hat, Boots Glasses Vis) BMS in Balycoolin ( Hat, Boots Glasses Vis Gloves no short sleeves) Nursing home in Dublin ( Hat, Boots and Vis).
    Basically it's down to the H+S on site, the bigger the site the more rules.
    OP industrial trousers will protect you against a skin tear/puncture where as shorts/trackie will offer none.

But I’m a tough guy that doesn’t mind when I pierce the skin the odd time. The trousers won’t stop anything substantial just the type of stuff that ten years ago we wouldn’t even acknowledge until we had to wash the dry blood off in the shower when we got home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

But I’m a tough guy that doesn’t mind when I pierce the skin the odd time. The trousers won’t stop anything substantial just the type of stuff that ten years ago we wouldn’t even acknowledge until we had to wash the dry blood off in the shower when we got home.

If your that tough you’ll stick the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

The EU directive, along with the EU suck, im for topping up the tan.

If it’s still like this Monday I’m wearing standard shorts in. Sites finished now anyway.

The EU directive, along with the EU suck, im for topping up the tan.

Welcome back billy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

I dislike replies on boards that amount to "boo-hoo" and whataboutery

...but really, we're talking high-twenties here. You'll adapt in no time.

If working a physically demanding job at 30+ were a problem, every restaurant kitchen would be shut for nine months of the year.

I dislike replies on boards that amount to "boo-hoo" and whataboutery

...but really, we're talking high-twenties here. You'll adapt in no time.

If working a physically demanding job at 30+ were a problem, every restaurant kitchen would be shut for nine months of the year.

Restaurant staff don’t have to run up and down 6 flights of stairs wearing hacksaw proof trousers a hi viz vest a hard hat safety glasses and gloves now do they? And steel cap boots with ankle protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Restaurant staff don’t have to run up and down 6 flights of stairs wearing hacksaw proof trousers a hi viz vest a hard hat safety glasses and gloves now do they? And steel cap boots with ankle protection.

your site full of ovens is it

your site full of ovens is it

No tools and drills and grinders and fittings that have to go up the stairs with you. It’s slightly different to stand in one spot washing a pot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Mark Horgan

Hacksaw proof trousers has any one a link to one of these, never heard of such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Saw builders on a site near me on Friday. They all wore shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

It's obviously site dependent. One with a H&S officer as stated will have none of it. A smaller site will allow it

Hacksaw proof trousers has any one a link to one of these, never heard of such.

The new snickers heavy duty is extremely heavy duty. You’d get through it with a hacksaw but only after a few attempts

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No tools and drills and grinders and fittings that have to go up the stairs with you. It’s slightly different to stand in one spot washing a pot.

Very few people stand in one spot in a kitchen. A kitchen rarely gets cool and comfortable while a site rarely get so hot as to be uncomfortable.

This thread is going downhill quicker than an After hours thread about travellers

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    The new snickers heavy duty is extremely heavy duty. You’d get through it with a hacksaw but only after a few attempts

So they are not hacksaw proof then.

So they are not hacksaw proof then.

I never said they were. Unless they’re made of stainless steel you’re not gonna find a pair

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I never said they were. Unless they’re made of stainless steel you’re not gonna find a pair

Why waffle on about heavy duty snickers trousers so? The mind boggles.

• Advertisement

Why waffle on about heavy duty snickers trousers so? The mind boggles.

I wasn’t waffling. The new snickers are probably as close to hacksaw proof as you’re going to find on a site. I’m So sorry that boggled your mind.

Advertisement