Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zones and attic

Options
  • 27-06-2018 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi,

We recently got the house divided into two zones (heat and hot water) subsequently we got the attic converted. There is now a radiator in the attic.
    The radiator in the attic is now heating when the hot water is on and when the heating is on. This doesn’t seem right but the builder says it’s correct due to being above the hot water tank/pressure. Though I thought the installation of the pump should have taken care of this. Does this all seem correct or is it plumbed wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

Hi,

We recently got the house divided into two zones (heat and hot water) subsequently we got the attic converted. There is now a radiator in the attic.
    The radiator in the attic is now heating when the hot water is on and when the heating is on. This doesn’t seem right but the builder says it’s correct due to being above the hot water tank/pressure. Though I thought the installation of the pump should have taken care of this. Does this all seem correct or is it plumbed wrong?

The attic rad should be on when the heating in but not when hot water only is on, the flow & return for the attic rad should be teed off the flow & return for the upstairs rads below the level of the hot water cylinder, its possible that the flow pipe (for attic) has been teed off from the 3/4 ins vent somewhere but it should be easy to check out where they are in fact taken from.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

For the warmer months, you could just turn of the rad valve.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭steedevaney

Thanks all, at the moment we have it off but in the winter the hot water would be gone out the radiator. Which was happening until we realised it had been plumbed as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

the hot water would be gone out the radiator.
    Sorry that makes no sense??
    Chances are the radiator is a bypass basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

[...]
    The radiator in the attic is now heating when the hot water is on and when the heating is on. This doesn’t seem right but the builder says it’s correct due to being above the hot water tank/pressure.
    It should have been plumbed so that it only heats up when the radiator circuit is on, in other words, if it heats up when you only want hot water then it has been plumbed wrong.
    Though I thought the installation of the pump should have taken care of this.
    Pump? What was the pump installed for and where?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Sorry that makes no sense??
    Chances are the radiator is a bypass basically.

While it might not make sense we had only the water heating. I went for a shower and there was no hot water. Checked the radiator in the attic. It was on fire. Knock it off at the tvr and haven’t had a problem with the hot water since. However I don’t believe that will work in winter when you would want the radiator on.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Pump? What was the pump installed for and where?

Sorry, you’re right the pump is for the shower in the attic and not the radiator. It was installed beside the tank which is on the floor below the attic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Dtp1979 wrote: »

While it might not make sense we had only the water heating. I went for a shower and there was no hot water. Checked the radiator in the attic. It was on fire. Knock it off at the tvr and haven’t had a problem with the hot water since. However I don’t believe that will work in winter when you would want the radiator on.

Sounds like the rad needs balancing. It runs off the coil pipes for whatever reason but it’s taking the heat from the coil at present. Easy fix. Bit of an pain but the other option could involve repiping to put it on the rad circuit.

Advertisement