Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing the system

Options
  • 27-06-2018 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Read this on the Irish times earlier (what salary will-buy a typical house around Ireland)

My thoughts
    Average Salary in Cork is 30,000 (which I believe to be a lie as I don't know any admins on 35k). After Tax, Deductions etc it is approximately 22,988. A house for 198,000 would be either extremely run down near the city, or it would be decent near the Kerry boarder (rural). A conservative figure for a decent home in Cork would be 300,000. 20% down-payment is 60,000. So if you live with your parents and eat beans and toast for 6-10 years you will have your deposit. Then you need to tackle the monthly repayments of 1,320. After tax you earn: 1915.66 (I've been very generous with these calculations). Which leaves you with a residue of 595 per month, or 149 per week.

Alternatively, you can not work and do part-time PLC courses. Work 20 hours a week @ 10 an hour = 200. Social welfare (dole) = 196. Total weekly non-taxed income = 396. Turns out at a little over 21,000 per year. You will also be given a house by the council that you can purchase off them after being a tenant for over 5 years for less that 60% of the purchase price.
    Pays to not work in Ireland, so I have decided to lose my job and start claiming. It's the Irish way!

Bareback
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

You should change the threat title to 'Screwing over friends and family'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 BarebackBear

Doop wrote: »
    You should change the threat title to 'Screwing over friends and family'
    I'm sick of this country and I will now play the system.

I earn 40,000 per year, I take home a little over 26,000 after pension, contributions and taxes. I'd much rather swan around tax free without a care in the world, a free education and a free home as well as over 21,000 per year.

Call me what you like, but this country isn't doing me any favours.

"If you can't beat them, join them"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Quit your job, present yourself as homeless and come back to us in 12 months and tell us how you got on.

amcalester wrote: »
    Quit your job, present yourself as homeless and come back to us in 12 months and tell us how you got on.
    I can't quit that's the issue. I need to be left go. But I have started to drop performance already.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Good luck getting the house with a waiting list . And if you have any savings over a certain threshold you will be deducted money. Amazing how everyone thinks being on social welfare is a walk in the park . I'd wager most have never been on it for a significant period of time

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Good luck getting the house with a waiting list . And if you have any savings over a certain threshold you will be deducted money. Amazing how everyone thinks being on social welfare is a walk in the park . I'd wager most have never been on it for a significant period of time
    All I know is, a number of my friends have done as above and are in far better financial situations than I am. Every benefit under the sun and without a care in the world. No taxes, no work related stress, no long hours 7-7 Monday to Friday. Just swan around at my own leisure.

The dream to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I'm only 25 but I was on the dole between the ages of 18 and 21 due to the lack of jobs at the time and I had no previous work experience. Its not a life I would ever want for myself.

Social welfare will hound you constantly and if you fail to find work they might just sign you up for a CE scheme or Internship that you can't refuse without a cut to your payment.

I did a total of 3 of these, none of which resulted in a job, just working 9 months, 40 hours a week for an extra 50 euro on my social payment. But I did benefit from the experience and was something to put on the CV including references.

Also if your working part time (3 days or less) you only get paid a faction of your social welfare payment.

I live with my gf and child gf was also on the dole at the time. It was a horrible 3 years.
    I couldn't do anything really. We were accepted for rent allowance but couldn't find anyone that would accept it so we took the cheapest apartment we could find, a one bedroom for 420 a month which in itself took slightly more then my full weekly payment just to pay. Leaving just my gf's payment which was a little higher sense we had a child but only just enough to cover electricity, phone bills and food. We didn't have internet, TV etc..

We were on the waiting list for a council house too. We were told that it could be up to 10 years before we got one but possibly 5 sense we had a young child that didn't have her own room.

The only good that came from this experience for me was that I had a lot more time to spend with my daughter to form the bond we have today.

I honestly don't know how some people get 1000's of social welfare as I do hear of it locally myself but when I was on it there was no help past to our direction.

Working 7 T 7 is obviously going to have a strain on you over time. Maybe all you need is a change? I certainly would never dedicate more then 9 hours of my day to a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Read this on the Irish times earlier (what salary will-buy a typical house around Ireland)

My thoughts
    Average Salary in Cork is 30,000 (which I believe to be a lie as I don't know any admins on 35k).

Average FT earnings are not 30k, they are more like 45-46k.

This includes overtime.

2016 = 45,611

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/elca/earningsandlabourcostsannualdata2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I’m enjoying your attempts at calculating SW entitlement here OP.
    If your earning €200 per week and your single then your “dole” will be cut to €113 per week. Not to mention that those 20 hours can only be spread over 3 days or you will lose your “dole” altogether. So you will be living on €313 per week at best. And if you can find a place to rent for less than €550 per month(your going to be waiting as a single person 10+ years for a council house) then if you are allowed into the local authority waiting list, then you might qualify for HAP and your contribution minimum will be €60 per week.
    If you can’t find a place for €550 then you will be paying the €60 plus the surplus. (Say the place is €650. You will be paying €60 per week + €100 per month on top.
    And at €330 you won’t get medical card.
    And you won’t get fuel supplement for 18 months.
    And there’s nothing else you can get.
    So if you think that that’s the life for you then off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

Being on the dole was the worst time of my life. There is nothing stressfree about having little to get up for in the morning. I also felt really ashamed that I couldn't find a job at the time. Wouldn't wish that on anybody and I don't buy into the idea that it's a cushy number for people. I bet it comes with a fair share of mental health risks.

Think you're likely to get a big shock re: housing. Housing in Ireland is difficult and as the above poster outlined you'd probably only get rent allowance which would cover very little and you would struggle to get landlords to accept you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

And of course getting a council house won't involve years of waiting on a housing list at all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I can't quit that's the issue. I need to be left go. But I have started to drop performance already.

That won't work. You would actually need to be made redundant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My thoughts
    Average Salary in Cork is 30,000 (which I believe to be a lie as I don't know any admins on 35k). After Tax, Deductions etc it is approximately 22,988. A house for 198,000 would be either extremely run down near the city, or it would be decent near the Kerry boarder (rural). A conservative figure for a decent home in Cork would be 300,000. 20% down-payment is 60,000. So if you live with your parents :pto tackle the monthly repayments of 1,320. After tax you earn: 1915.66 (I've been very generous with these calculations). Which leaves you with a residue of 595 per month, or 149 per week.

Alternatively, you can not work and do part-time PLC courses. Work 20 hours a week @ 10 an hour = 200. Social welfare (dole) = 196. Total weekly non-taxed income = 396. Turns out at a little over 21,000 per year. You will also be given a house by the council that you can purchase off them after being a tenant for over 5 years for less that 60% of the purchase price.
    Pays to not work in Ireland, so I have decided to lose my job and start claiming. It's the Irish way!

Bareback

Ever heard of council waiting lists?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

loalae wrote: »
    Being on the dole was the worst time of my life. There is nothing stressfree about having little to get up for in the morning. I also felt really ashamed that I couldn't find a job at the time. Wouldn't wish that on anybody and I don't buy into the idea that it's a cushy number for people. I bet it comes with a fair share of mental health risks.

Think you're likely to get a big shock re: housing. Housing in Ireland is difficult and as the above poster outlined you'd probably only get rent allowance which would cover very little and you would struggle to get landlords to accept you.

Could make a man of him... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Twelve Bar Blues

splinter65 wrote: »
    I’m enjoying your attempts at calculating SW entitlement here OP.
    If your earning €200 per week and your single then your “dole” will be cut to €113 per week. Not to mention that those 20 hours can only be spread over 3 days or you will lose your “dole” altogether. So you will be living on €313 per week at best. And if you can find a place to rent for less than €550 per month(your going to be waiting as a single person 10+ years for a council house) then if you are allowed into the local authority waiting list, then you might qualify for HAP and your contribution minimum will be €60 per week.
    If you can’t find a place for €550 then you will be paying the €60 plus the surplus. (Say the place is €650. You will be paying €60 per week + €100 per month on top.
    And at €330 you won’t get medical card.
    And you won’t get fuel supplement for 18 months.
    And there’s nothing else you can get.
    So if you think that that’s the life for you then off you go.

I was thinking they were talking about the Part Time Job Incentive, but for that they've also over-estimated.
    PTJI - if you're considered long-term unemployed, you can work up to 24hrs/week spread over any number of days and the DSP will supplement your earnings by €125.40/week (or €204.50 for a couple). Also, PTJI is not a sure thing - it's case by case.
    Ridiculous people saying that being unemployed is easier, it def wasn't for me.
    Then the same people would be saying that the rise in homelessness is disgraceful....

Advertisement