Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mosquitoes, Lanzarote

Options
  • 27-06-2018 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Heading over to Lanaarote next month and looking to do the best we can to avoid getting bitten, if possible. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Mosquitos lay their eggs in pools of stagnant water of which there are virtually none in Lanzarote because it's a volcanic island, the soil is mainly dark lava which retains no water. Have you heard that mozzies are prevalent in high summer? I've only been there in Feb and March and never had a problem with any species of flying insect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭BobMc

Been to Lanza many times, one of the few places never seem to have any bother from mossies (always visit July/August)

I'm sure they may be about but never to an extent to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Never been there before but heard that they can be a problem. Might buy a couple of plug in devices and spray just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

Been to the Canaries a few times and never had issues with mossies. Certainly not infested like around Venice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭beachhead

I have been to Lanzarote quite a few times but not during the "summer" ie June to August.Mosquitos have never been a problem only bluebottles

• Advertisement

Techless wrote: »
    Never been there before but heard ......

Sounds like an urban myth you picked up in the pub or the hairdresser.

The person you 'heard' this from.... have they actually been there, did they try various sprays or how did they deal with the problem?

Four posters have responded that there is not a problem with mozzies in the Canaries, three of whom replied specifically in respect of Lanzarote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Make that 5. Been there a shed load of times and I’ve literally never seen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

I can confirm that there are loads of mosquitoes in Lanzarote. Go into supermarket and buy an electronic repellent. This is cheap and plugs into apartment or hotel socket and it repels them. They come out in early evening and early morning, you will have to use a DET product after that. you will also notice that the locals wear a bracelet, you will see these on sale on the counters of the smaller shops. Don't ask me if they are any good.

*Snip
    https://www.boots.ie/adult-bug-watch-anti-mosquito-white-wrist-band-10243790

I checked out various sources on d'internet and there are indeed mozzies in Lanzarote though not as many as in similar places elsewhere, mainly due to the lack of standing water.

Principal factors appear to be (1) time of year (2) your proximity to green plants (which the owner may be watering, leaving pools of water to accumulate in a pot, perfect nursery for mozzie eggs) and (3) your desirability to the insect world, some people appear to attract more biting insects than others.

Here are two representative posts on Tripadvisor .......
    I've been to the Canaries in February for the last 10 years and never been bitten once. I still get massacred in the Summer months though
    It´s a sub-tropical island ...so mozzies will always be around....as previous poster says sometimes in lesser numbers than other months.....things to watch out for as regarding them are ...proximity of accommodation to greenery....dampness or rain of a morning...and wind strength....these all affect the number of mosquitoes...the first two causing an increase the latter (literally) blowing them away ....have a good (bite -free) holiday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,267 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Drinking apple cider vinegar repels them, not sure if Bulmers would do the same...

https://www.lifehack.org/318061/12-reasons-you-should-keep-drinking-apple-cider-vinegar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Use a Citronella based repellant, rub or spray on, not bracelets or candles etc. Deet and other chemicals are not good for you.

On a technical note, it's mainly pregnant females mozzies who bite humans as they need to suck blood from warm-blooded mammals to develop their eggs, this is the way malaria is transmitted.

The mozzies in the Canaries probably originated on the continent of Africa and I suspect that it's too cold for them to breed in the Canaries until June, July and August which is why they don't bother tourists in the spring months when a lot of us go there.

Open to corrections and/or other theories but that's my tuppence worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭cobham

Yes been there many times usually in winter months. Never a problem with them but in last few years there is usually ONE blighter so beware. Maybe to do with poorer weather/more rain of those years? Bring a decent flyswot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Buy deet spray, 50% deet is what people living in mosquito prone areas like Brazil/Argentina use.

If you are bitten use Calamine cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Been in July and August many times, I have never been bitten by a mosquito. Have been in other places just not Lanza

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

never had issues from mozzies but cock roaches the size of frogs can be off putting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Was there loads of times in summer and only one summer when they reckon a swarm of them were blown over in a sandstorm from the sahara did we trouble from them , they were literally everywhere but that was years ago last year and the year before not a single one

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭yogmeister

Just back from lanzarote and I didnt see one mosquito , I did get bitten plenty of times tho but I can t confirm what bit me . Met plenty of other people who got bitten also . Was nt a problem tho after we bought insect repellant s .

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dgosul

We were there in January & the wife was bitten on 2 fingers, ended up looking like blood blisters , I have a photo but can’t seem to be able to add it.

455743.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭yogmeister

dgosul wrote: »
    455743.png

Jeez they look nasty only time I saw bites like that was in Australia and they were from spiders .

Mosquitos are looking to suck blood so they go for soft flesh like the arm or your thigh, they wouldn't be bothered with fingers. Those bites are not from a mosquito, more likely a spider while she was asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

coylemj wrote: »
    ... I suspect that it's too cold for them to breed in the Canaries until June, July and August which is why they don't bother tourists in the spring months when a lot of us go there.

Open to corrections and/or other theories but that's my tuppence worth.

Would disagree about Mosquitoes only breeding in Jul Aug. They need stagnant water. This happens after a rainey few days in Lanza which never happens in Jul Aug. Rain months in Lanza are feb mar time.

I’ve never been bitten in Lanza and I’ve been more than 20 times. Showering daily and don’t leave the windows open at night , use the aircon and fans. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Mosquitos lay their eggs in pools of stagnant water of which there are virtually none in Lanzarote because it's a volcanic island, the soil is mainly dark lava which retains no water. Have you heard that mozzies are prevalent in high summer? I've only been there in Feb and March and never had a problem with any species of flying insect.

I go every September and get eaten alive!! I buy the plug in things available in the shops over there and that stops them, I plug it in before I go to bed.

bmm wrote: »
    I’ve never been bitten in Lanza and I’ve been more than 20 times. Showering daily and don’t leave the windows open at night , use the aircon and fans. Enjoy!

+1 I think that when mozzies are about, some people are more appealing to them than others. Some posters here (myself included) have never been bothered by them, others get eaten alive.

The pale Irish skin probably attracts them and you can't rule out personal hygiene as a factor because they probably go by scent as well as colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

coylemj wrote:
    The pale Irish skin probably attracts them and you can't rule out personal hygiene as a factor because they probably go by scent as well as colour.

I don't think it's anything to do with personal hygiene but definitely they are attracted to some people more than others or should I say, they seem to cause some people a lot more discomfort than others, I get eaten alive by them so much so, they actually ruin the enjoyment of my holiday, the pain and oozing blisters plus the constant need to itch is horrendous, none of my family seem to be bothered by them, I'm the only female in the family, maybe my skin or blood type is more attractive, I hate the critters and they torment me here in Ireland as well, along with horse flies and midges, the list is endless, I was in Dunnes the other day and saw some insect repellant which has natural ingredients, citronella I think, can't remember the name though. Maybe someone here might know.

+1 I think that when mozzies are about, some people are more appealing to them than others. Some posters here (myself included) have never been bothered by them, others get eaten alive.

Well I can rule out personal hygiene for myself :eek:

No matter where I go I get bites, got a huge one after a trip to Doolin a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

It's nothing to do with personal hygiene, I don't know what it is though, they leave me alone but positively feast on the mrs (she's reasonable clean 😂, they don't like garlic & some other foods seemingly

It's nothing to do with personal hygiene, I don't know what it is though, they leave me alone but positively feast on the mrs (she's reasonable clean ��, they don't like garlic & some other foods seemingly

I love garlic and when I'm away (especially Lanza) I'd have tons of the stuff, so can't be that either.

• Advertisement

455791.pngthis was what i killed in the apt.

Advertisement