Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Scirocco problems

Options
  • 26-06-2018 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi there.. looking for help on my car. (Scirocco , 2010, 1.4T)

Booked it into the garage two weeks ago as the car began to slow when it came to starting the car. it ticked over for about 5 seconds and eventually fired up. the car is still under warranty so they said they were booked up for 3 weeks and to drop it in then.

The car has deteriorated since. The oil light came on, I checked the dipstick and couldnt get any reading of oil. Bought the appropriate oil and put some in. the light went away but the dipstick didnt read any oil still. Now the exhaust sometimes blows large puffs of smoke.

Im fairly clueless when it comes to the mechanics of an engine so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you have been running it that low on oil and it's now puffing smoke, I guess that your engine is now seriously damaged.
    Prepare for the long fight with the garage seeing as they didn't seem too interested in taking the car in at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

jackob1 wrote: »
    Hi there.. looking for help on my car. (Scirocco , 2010, 1.4T)

Booked it into the garage two weeks ago as the car began to slow when it came to starting the car. it ticked over for about 5 seconds and eventually fired up. the car is still under warranty so they said they were booked up for 3 weeks and to drop it in then.

The car has deteriorated since. The oil light came on, I checked the dipstick and couldnt get any reading of oil. Bought the appropriate oil and put some in. the light went away but the dipstick didnt read any oil still. Now the exhaust sometimes blows large puffs of smoke.

Im fairly clueless when it comes to the mechanics of an engine so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the engine is toast.

Driving it with little to no oil will do that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Those engines are pretty tempermental and give trouble with pretty much everything so i'd definitely be erring on the side of the engine has had it but that's nothing more than an assumption. I'd get more oil, fill it to max on the dipstick and get it to the garage without waiting any longer even if they can't fit it in immediately just leave it with them otherwise they may claim negligence on your part as contributing to the damage.

It may not be curtains for the engine but best not leave this go any longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jackob1

Thanks for the replies. Ye I only bought it 10 months ago and theres still warranty on it for up to 2,500E. I am seriously hoping that the cost of the repairs is below this. Im guessing they didn't do a full service on it when they got it as I think the car had only landed in the showroom a few days before i purchased it and they needed time to valet it.

Its with them now although I still have to wait another week before they look at it. Its such a shame as its a great car to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So its a 3rd party warranty you have from the likes of carprotect or mapfre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Sounds like a possible high pressure fuel pump issue. They can leak fuel into the oil which then dilutes the oil. If left for long enough the oil pressure warning will come on. When you dipped it for oil it was probably too full. Now you’ve put more in and the level is way too high so it’s getting sucked back into the intake hence the smoke.

Hopefully a new HPFP and an oil and filter change will put it right.

Sounds like a possible high pressure fuel pump issue. They can leak fuel into the oil which then dilutes the oil. If left for long enough the oil pressure warning will come on. When you dipped it for oil it was probably too full. Now you’ve put more in and the level is way too high so it’s getting sucked back into the intake hence the smoke.

Hopefully a new HPFP and an oil and filter change will put it right.

>> I hope so too. The dipstick didnt give me a read whatsoever but I have no idea what the issue could have been. It wasnt a constant smog of smoke. More intermittent. I received no warning lights about anything until the oil light came on. Im probably at fault somewhere along the line for not recognizing it sooner but the moment I felt something was up with the car I called the garage. Making me wait 3 weeks for a visit is bit of a joke though. should have a 3rd party garage for these sort of scenarios

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

Ye it was given to me when I bought the car but I think they use a 3rd party for it. Seemed sketchy at the time and the garage were not willing to negotiate the warranty as I was buying it. I was assured that the car was fully serviced and fully operational.

Funny thing is that the car still runs perfectly when driving. no loss of power and fuel consumption appears to be consistent. I am fairly stumped by the whole ordeal. Buyer naivity comes to mind

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    thankfully this wasnt the case. Engine is still alive and well - when running. As mentioned in my reply above, the car still runs perfectly once started. I cant hear/see/feel any issues with the car except the smoke and starting process.

I did check the oil before long journeys and was always in between the required levels. Didnt check the past month and now this occured. Whether there were signs before this or not that I may have missed - Im not sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

In general do Scirocco's give a lot of trouble. Looking at importing one next year. Leaning on the diesel one mainly the smaller diesel one but the petrol one is also an option. Love to hear outcome of this and any other driver/mechanics feedback

In general do Scirocco's give a lot of trouble. Looking at importing one next year. Leaning on the diesel one mainly the smaller diesel one but the petrol one is also an option. Love to hear outcome of this and any other driver/mechanics feedback
    Ive only had this 10 months so not a good start but for sure ill post the final outcome. I have nothing but good words to say about day to day life with them. Great cars to drive and the 1.4t is surprisingly quick. The car is low to the ground and depending on the year or level of upgrades, they can be well equipped.
    Definitely do some research on the diesels anyway and see what sort of troubles other people have come across

If you run any car without oil its going to go pop,
    Did it myself when i was a young lad !
    lesson learned now I check oil once a month .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

If you run any car without oil its going to go pop,
    Did it myself when i was a young lad !
    lesson learned now I check oil once a month .

I check mine every two weeks.

Just as a response to all, one of the piston rings was broken which caused a lack of compression. apparently this was the only thing wrong with the car. They changed the oil and are going to monitor it over the next 4 months to ensure it isnt using excessive amounts. Cheers for the inputs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Just as a response to all, one of the piston rings was broken which caused a lack of compression. apparently this was the only thing wrong with the car. They changed the oil and are going to monitor it over the next 4 months to ensure it isnt using excessive amounts. Cheers for the inputs

Piston ring damage would explain where all the oil went. Probably some extra wear done to the engine from running on low oil but impossible to say how much extra wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

The engine is more than likely beat.

VWs in general, not just siroccos, are unreliable cars. Everyone I know who has one has always had problems.
    My mother has a Passat and it's one thing after another going in it.
    Usually expensive ones as the parts are all over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Were the piston rings replaced?
    If one was broken, just changing the oil and monitoring it is not going to fix the problem.

The engine needs to be opened to do this, cylinder head off, lots of labor and a fair list of parts to do it right.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

So good he posted it thrice :D This could get good yet......

p.s. You can't access a piston ring by just removing the head surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

A job like a piston ring, as was said, is major surgery on an engine. It has to be almost taken apart completely.

Unless you're dealing with a highly valuable luxury or performance car or a rare vintage car this is an uneconomic repair and , even if attempted, the engine could be more prone to failure or more problems due to having been dismantled. With the best intentions, the quality & accuracy of fitting and cleanliness of assembly will never match that achieved at the factory.

Therefore, the usual approach would be to scrap the engine and fit a new or scrap yard sourced engine.

Sorry.

• Advertisement

Theyve had it for more than a week now and told me they had to open up the whole engine.

Instead of people just saying the engine is beat or its toast, is there any actual advice you can give? Im going in blind and having to take their word at face value. I dont want to come across aggressive or anything but just telling me I have a problem helps in no way

Theyve had it for more than a week now and told me they had to open up the whole engine.

Instead of people just saying the engine is beat or its toast, is there any actual advice you can give? Im going in blind and having to take their word at face value. I dont want to come across aggressive or anything but just telling me I have a problem helps in no way

It's impossible to say. If they have actually replaced the ring the engine could be good. We have no idea how long the engine was starved of oil or what it looks like on the inside. If it's running fine right now there's nothing you can do. The engine may run perfect for years or start showing signs of premature wear later on. The garage has all they can do so just hope for the best.

Ye not much I can do now. Just frustrating that I only had it 10 months when this started and had checked the oil pretty recently before it starting happening. Such a shame as its a great car to be in and drive.

Just very frustrating. Never had any issue like this in any of my previous cars. Been driving for 8 years now and this is my 4th car. Bought a VW because of the perceived reliability. Guess this is a warning for others

Well it can happen to any car especially second hard as you have no idea how the previous owner treated it.
    small VW petrol engines and piston ring problems is something I see come up again and again although I though they had fixed it with the newer TSI engine.

Advertisement