Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit and Miss Fence: Attach to wall or independent posts?

Options
  • 26-06-2018 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

At the rear of my house, there is 'hit and miss' fence installed along a block wall on the property boundary. For the most part, it's installed along the top of the wall fastened somehow on my neighbour's side.

The previous owner of my house has started to extend the fence down the side of the property. The block wall is roughly 3 feet high, and he fastened the fence to the in on the inside of the wall. I would like to continue this for another 50 feet.

I was about to purchase materials, when I began second guessing if the wall is strong enough to support this sort of load on it's own. I would be concerned about how the wall would fare in strong winds with a 6' high fence pulling on it.

Should I be installing fence posts on the inside of the wall instead, or is the wall sufficiently strong enough to support the fence as is?

I'm guessing if I went down the route of putting in posts, I would do 6x6 every 8 feet?

IyB0U.jpg
    qsbmg.jpg
    dVnFi.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Have you checked re panning?
    given the wall is very low in spots O would go independent.
    What is there is butt ugly, IMO :)

Ideally use galvanised metal posts as timber posts will rot unless they are treated with creosote or similar, which is no longer available to Joe Public

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spray____

Have you checked re panning?

I have. Being the side of the house anything under 2m/6.5ft should be fine.
    given the wall is very low in spots O would go independent.

I've been thinking about it and leaning that way too. For the amount of effort it would take, better safe than sorry.
    What is there is butt ugly, IMO :)
    Thanks very much :p
    Ideally use galvanised metal posts as timber posts will rot unless they are treated with creosote or similar, which is no longer available to Joe Public

Plan was to go with pressure treated, which if I understand correctly, is different than creosote. This seems to be the general recommendation I'm seeing when using timber posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Due to the EU, "pressure treated" timber that is constantly wet only lasts about 5 years because of lower toxicity in the stuff. so it depends on what is actually used for treatment.
    You are still going to have to dig a hole, mix concrete, plumb the stake etc so....

What I have done is bought box section, cut and drilled and prepped it and then brought it to Galco in Ballymount for hot dipping.
    This requires more precision as the holes have to be level.

I have also bought pre galvo'd pipe and used zinc plated U bolts: much easier than the predrilled box.
    This would allow you 8 feet between posts

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,788 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Before doing all that inspect the neighbours one and chat with them. See if they had any problems we had plenty of high winds last year to test it's durability.

You could very well get away with your existing plan if the foundation of the wall is sound.

Advertisement