Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Suggestions 600cc - 2k-3k

Options
  • 26-06-2018 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, the idea has been in my mind since doing the IBT on getting a larger CC bike. Taking the bike to Galway from Monaghan has broken the camels back (3.5 hours on a Varadero 125cc).

Looking for a bike around 600c that I can use for the full test max €3k mark.

So I need some suggestions before I ring the Insurance company to see how much it'll cost to change; I used a CBF600 on the IBT and really liked it.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-cbf600/19131025

I'm a learner with A permit and 30 years old. bike will be used for commuting to work in the city and some weekend roaming along the coast.

Please help! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Have a look at a sv650 I have one as my first bike and 'I find it great

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

There's a good few out there, but it does kinda depend on what 'style' you're looking for.

Can't go wrong with the SV650 (Faired version is nicer imo), the Honda Deauville (will keep going no matter what), BMW GS 650 is another one that's largely favoured by people these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Almost anything but a Bandit 600.

Off the top of my head would be a DL650 Vstrom or the SV650 (same engine, and I think frame).

A Honda CB 500
    Honda Deauville 650.

If you're going to be doing a lot of mileage get something faired because naked's are a pain in the ass after awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I think the cbf600 is a really good starter bike and is often overlooked because of the popularity of the hornet, SV and FZ. It's comfortable and is probably the least hooligan of the usual suspects, it's the best suited to commuting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

You can get a loan of a bike from an instructor. Might be worth getting a lesson in before you go for the full licence to correct any bad habits you may have picked up. I did my test on a raggidy ass bandit 600 I got from the guy giving me lessons. Terrible bike but it did the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I've never driven one but why the hate for Bandit 600's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭ratracer

CBR600 F - very solid sports tourer, try get the later fuel injected model if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Thanks a mill guys, I've a few things I can get quotes on now.

I like the prospect of the DL650, looks perfect for what I'd use it for. I'm not the tallest of people, 5"11 but I love a good upright seating position; I'm seeing lots of the BMW GS around Galway at the minute and the adventure design looks so comfortable.

Thanks again.

D3V!L wrote: »
    I've never driven one but why the hate for Bandit 600's ?

Ride one, they're a scutterbox.

Thankfully we've just retired them in work, poxy bikes from day one.

We use CBF600's for learner courses, great bikes. Far superior to the Bandit and I could never understand why we used Bandit's for working and CBF's for learning on.

Best bikes we had by a country mile was the Kawasaki GT550.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Hornet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭draycottgirlz

Almost anything but a Bandit 600.

Off the top of my head would be a DL650 Vstrom or the SV650 (same engine, and I think frame).

A Honda CB 500
    Honda Deauville 650.

If you're going to be doing a lot of mileage get something faired because naked's are a pain in the ass after awhile.

Can't beat a Honda, and the CB500 or Deauville are good options. If budget could stretch thinking about Honda NC range or Yamaha Xj6 range - very reliable

No idea why people recommend a dullville over the cbf600. The cbf600 isn't going to set the world alight but I'd rather walk than ride a dullville, one benefit though is it won't get nicked!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Hey folks, the idea has been in my mind since doing the IBT on getting a larger CC bike. Taking the bike to Galway from Monaghan has broken the camels back (3.5 hours on a Varadero 125cc).

So I need some suggestions before I ring the Insurance company to see how much it'll cost to change; I used a CBF600 on the IBT and really liked it.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-cbf600/19131025

I'm a learner with A permit and 30 years old. bike will be used for commuting to work in the city and some weekend roaming along the coast.

Please help! :o
    That bike is restricted. You don't need a restricted bike.

zubair wrote: »
    No idea why people recommend a dullville over the cbf600. The cbf600 isn't going to set the world alight but I'd rather walk than ride a dullville, one benefit though is it won't get nicked!

We use the Deauville 650 in work.

They're a very under rated bike, by people who've never rode one.

I've never owned one, and tbh I don't know why. They make a lot of sense (if you get a clean and well looked after one, ie not an ex courier bike).

I only rode two of them this morning in work, cracking commuter/touring bikes (forget sporting, they're anything but).

I'll take some photos during the week, apart from some rider neglect I really can't fault them.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

1000148.jpg

The deauville, experts who've never ridden them say they're no good.
    Weirdo owners love them.

Better get a kawa,suki gsxbr ninja blade double R.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

Went through a similar process a month ago and ended up buying a Honda Deauville (nt700v). The deauville has several bonus points, four I knew before buying one significant one I discovered afterwards.
    Almost indestructible
    No chain
    Low insurance
    Upright riding position (great visibility)
    Design protects rider & bike on fall
    Don't knock it until it's fallen on you a few (!) times.
    Good luck whatever you choose

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

We use the Deauville 650 in work.

They're a very under rated bike, by people who've never rode one.

I've never owned one, and tbh I don't know why. They make a lot of sense (if you get a clean and well looked after one, ie not an ex courier bike).

I only rode two of them this morning in work, cracking commuter/touring bikes (forget sporting, they're anything but).

I'll take some photos during the week, apart from some rider neglect I really can't fault them.

I know I got a bit of slack for getting the Deauville last year, but it suits my purposes to a charm. The one downside you can give the bike is that it's not 'sexy'.

You'll never be out on a spin and stop along some other riders to hear one of them say "Good god that's a sexy Deauville".

But I've ridden that bike virtually every day since I got it, with the exception of Storm Ophelia and the snow during February. Even in the strongest winds I felt far more safe than I would on a lighter, or even heavier bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

V Strom 650 is comfy and quite light on fuel. Weather protection is very good especially for those rainy winter days.

That said if I had the funds I would get the latest Kawasaki Versys 1000. Awesome engine with loads of torque and extremely comfortable riding position :)

MSVforever wrote: »
    V Strom 650 is comfy and quite light on fuel. Weather protection is very good especially for those rainy winter days.

That said if I had the funds I would get the latest Kawasaki Versys 1000. Awesome engine with loads of torque and extremely comfortable riding position :)

To say the Vstrom DL650 is light on fuel is like saying the Pope is a bit religious lol.. Its a fecking miser on fuel.

I constantly kick myself for getting rid of my Vstrom, in a rush of sh*t to the head I threaded it off a Z1000 and regretted it almost immediately (and got rid of the Z1000 almost immediately too lol).

I think the most I got from the Vstrom was 420km from a full tank.

Mine was the 07 (non ABS). If I was to find fault with it I'd say the suspension was done on the cheap, its really not great. And the brakes aren't the best either, much like the SV650's of the same era.

Servicing is a pain in the ass, esp getting to the air filter. I've been told by a few mechanics that they often find Vstroms with very old air filters because the previous owners just couldn't be arsed swapping them out.

So if you've got a Vstrom which is heavy on the gas that's likely the problem.

Other than that they're a lovely, lovely bike.

The Versys 1000.. I test rode one when I was getting rid of the Z1000. Same engine, different tune of course. But a wonderful bike. I rode one from Bikeworld to Newbridge in the worse rain I've rode in for years and I sat on the motorway almost bone dry. The weather protection was brilliant.

I'd have done the deal with Bikeworld but their warranty was sh*t, whereas Joe Duffy was offering me a 12 month manufacturers (European wide) warranty with European wide roadside assist on a BMW R1200GS (and a better price on the Zed too).

But yes, the Versys 1000 is a beaut.

Deal breaker on the dullville lads, sorry. Thank god because I was nodding off there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Deal breaker on the dullville lads, sorry. Thank god because I was nodding off there.
    Have you ever actually ridden one?

Have you ever actually ridden one?

Yes.

Why did you sell yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Yes.

Why did you sell yours?
    I moved to a Carribbean island with only one road 😂

Might be back in a few weeks and would definitely consider another.

I agree it's not the most exciting bike in the world but don't understand all the hate it gets. I've certainly had worse bikes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I moved to a Carribbean island with only one road ��

Might be back in a few weeks and would definitely consider another.

I agree it's not the most exciting bike in the world but don't understand all the hate it gets. I've certainly had worse bikes..

The first impression you get of a bike is its looks and it does not look pretty.

Cheers guys, I wouldn't rule out the Deuville if it's a solid machine but I do admit the styling isn't to my taste.

Loving the DL650 seems perfect for my future needs(80km a day commute and weekend touring), doesn't seem to be a great amount of them on Donedeal but plenty on Autotrader in the UK. Would a high mileage bike put any of you off? I know if it's well looked after that's the most important thing.

Lastly has anyone any experience with the wind protection on a faired CBF600?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cheers guys, I wouldn't rule out the Deuville if it's a solid machine but I do admit the styling isn't to my taste.

Loving the DL650 seems perfect for my future needs(80km a day commute and weekend touring), doesn't seem to be a great amount of them on Donedeal but plenty on Autotrader in the UK. Would a high mileage bike put any of you off? I know if it's well looked after that's the most important thing.

Lastly has anyone any experience with the wind protection on a faired CBF600?

Ive had my DL for over 4 years, you would have to pull it from my cold hands. Takes alot of abuse. very miserly.

What is high mileaged? mine has over 50,000 Miles on it and flying along. service regularly and it doesnt need any crazy special attention.

If you find a good one buy it on condition like anything really. Try Vstrom owners clubs in the UK too - mine came from one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

sv650s was great starter bike for me. 40mpgish with sporty but not crazy riding while I was using it for my 260km commute for a few weeks. Was more like 280km because I was taking the long way home.

go with whatever you get the best deal on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

For anyone thinking of buying a bike to do their test on, Read below.
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Concur, SV650 fine for the test, DL650 Same engine same frame - not fine for test.

go figure.

I rented a bike for my test and polished the DL650 at home :)

• Advertisement

Just quick update on this folks, it was between the CBF600 and the DL650(this being my preferred choice). The costs different between changing to a DL650 as opposed the CBF600 is around 400/500 euro more which sadly puts it out of my budget. I've found what seems to be an excellent condition CBF600 from a heavily reviewed dealer in the UK and the credit union has granted me a loan so I'm gonna plan the logistics and hope to have it by the end of the month.

If the CBF holds its value well I can look at changing to the DL650 next year sometime.

Since I'm gonna sell the Varadero does anyone know how much it roughly be worth? It's 03 Varadero 125(carb) with just under 13k Miles, new tyres(less than 1k miles ago) - serviced(less than 1k miles ago) - folks seals + oil (less than 1k miles ago) -need to redo the front left fork it's slightly leaking - new brake pads a few days ago. Does around 65mpg. I can upload pictures later, it's got age related stuff and slight corrosion and has scrapes on the fairing from a fall or two.

Was thinking €1000 is fair price? It's working mechanically 100%

Advertisement