Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to get an EV car insurance quote (Company Policy)

Options
  • 26-06-2018 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

I've rang a few companies over the last week and I don't seem to be able to get a quote a Company owned EV vehicle where I am the named driver.

Feedback from Insurers has been

- My own company Allianz wouldn't quote.
    - Chill.ie told me they didn't cover company owned vehicles
    - Kenco, told me it needs to be a commercial vehicle
    - Axa took my details on Friday and said someone from new business would contact me back. Heard nothing and rang them back this morning and they said they would not cover this scenario either)

I must be saying something wrong as I know others have gotten insurance. Should I be asking for commercial insurance?

Can anyone advise of an insurer that can deal with this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

JackieChan wrote: »
    I've rang a few companies over the last week and I don't seem to be able to get a quote a Company owned EV vehicle where I am the named driver.

Feedback from Insurers has been

- My own company Allianz wouldn't quote.
    - Chill.ie told me they didn't cover company owned vehicles
    - Kenco, told me it needs to be a commercial vehicle
    - Axa took my details on Friday and said someone from new business would contact me back. Heard nothing and rang them back this morning and they said they would not cover this scenario either)

I must be saying something wrong as I know others have gotten insurance. Should I be asking for commercial insurance?

Can anyone advise of an insurer that can deal with this?
    Thanks

Ok a little bit confused. So the company has bought the car for you? but you have to pay for your own insurance?

Normally the company buys the car and pays for insurance. If not the case then insurance will cover.

Maybe I am wrong, I know when I had company car they provided the insurance......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,331 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Call Arachas.ie if it’s a company car then the company needs to insure it as you can’t insure what you don’t own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok a little bit confused. So the company has bought the car for you? but you have to pay for your own insurance?

Normally the company buys the car and pays for insurance. If not the case then insurance will cover.

Maybe I am wrong, I know when I had company car they provided the insurance......

It's my company, so it's buying the car. The car then needs to be insured under the company name and I'm a named driver. Thought it would be straightforward

ted1 wrote: »
    Call Arachas.ie if it’s a company car then the company needs to insure it as you can’t insure what you don’t own.

I realise I may not have made it clear enough but yes I want a policy where the company insures it and I am a named driver.

I'll try that company.
    Thanks

JackieChan wrote: »
    It's my company, so it's buying the car. The car then needs to be insured under the company name and I'm a named driver. Thought it would be straightforward

You need to get company insurance.

To explain
    My mate bought an electric car. Due to the 0% BIK he bought it as a "company car". He has a compnay insurance policy and then put the car under the company policy.

He has actually clossed down his personal insurance now and just run everything under the company insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭deletthis

As above, you need a business policy in the name of the company as opposed to a standard private policy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

You have three refusals now so can contact the ombudsman who will get one of the three companies to quote you.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,004 ✭✭✭✭unkel

samih wrote: »
    You have three refusals now so can contact the ombudsman who will get one of the three companies to quote you.

Pointless exercise. Sure they will quote you. They have to. They'll be quoting you €15k.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭zoom_cool

FBD will do it for you.

zoom_cool wrote: »
    FBD will do it for you.

Thanks will call them.

Managed to get my first quote of 2.8k (from Liberty)
    Was really hoping for something less than 2k.
    unkel wrote: »
    Pointless exercise. Sure they will quote you. They have to. They'll be quoting you €15k.

It's not even that they wouldn't quote due to risk, it was just that they didn't provide that service!

Agree on the obligatory quote you would receive if you had to go that route! You'd be cheaper hiring your own part time chauffeur!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Does that not only apply to individuals?

Another one down. FBD won't quote unless you have 2 years no claims bonus under a company plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Does that not only apply to individuals?
    I don't know tbh. It does seem exceedingly difficult to obtain legally required insurance in this country. Maybe the civil servants could look at how this stuff just works in many other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don't know tbh. It does seem exceedingly difficult to obtain legally required insurance in this country. Maybe the civil servants could look at how this stuff just works in many other countries.

I'm pretty sure it does only apply to individuals.

https://www.insuranceireland.eu/consumer-information/general-non-life-insurance/declined-cases-agreement

Do you have other items for the business that requires insurance? building? staff? etc

If you bundle all of them in with car and then get business insurance you will get it. Companies like FBD have account managers for that type of thing, ringing up to the front desk is a waste of time

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Do you have other items for the business that requires insurance? building? staff? etc

If you bundle all of them in with car and then get business insurance you will get it. Companies like FBD have account managers for that type of thing, ringing up to the front desk is a waste of time
    There’s not many companies like FBD. They underwrite their own policies as oppose to just reselling

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

I had exactly this issue and eventually gave up and called a broker as I had been advised to do at the start.

It WILL cost you and you WILL have to sign over your own no claims bonus to the company.

I was paying 400-odd to insure a 330E personally and I ended up that the company paid over a grand for me to insure a LEAF! - but at least I have insurance as I only looked at this after the car had arrived and so I literally couldn't drive it off the forecourt until I could solve the issue so it was sitting around for over a week in the dealers....

it does appear that company insurance is far more expensive but I guess it's coming out of the company and not after-tax income so....

PM me if you want broker details or the name of the insurance company I ended up insured by.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The OP wants to insure himself to drive that car. Insuring the car itself is secondary issue here only.

grogi wrote: »

The OP wants to insure himself to drive that car. Insuring the car itself is secondary issue here only.
    The company list him as a named driver on their policy.

catharsis wrote: »
    I had exactly this issue and eventually gave up and called a broker as I had been advised to do at the start.

It WILL cost you and you WILL have to sign over your own no claims bonus to the company.

I was paying 400-odd to insure a 330E personally and I ended up that the company paid over a grand for me to insure a LEAF! - but at least I have insurance as I only looked at this after the car had arrived and so I literally couldn't drive it off the forecourt until I could solve the issue so it was sitting around for over a week in the dealers....

+1 : Exactly what I had to do.

My own insurance is currently just over €700 and got a quote for just over 1k for company policy and have to sign over personal NCB to get it...considering second best quote was €3k it is an easy decision! Hope to have my 182 mid next week!
    it does appear that company insurance is far more expensive but I guess it's coming out of the company and not after-tax income so....

PM me if you want broker details or the name of the insurance company I ended up insured by.

Yeah the fact it's coming from gross means it's a lot better than it initially looks and thanks for the offer on Broker. Got quote within 30 mins of talking to broker this morning.

Also I know of one additional company that will quote when the company has one year bonus, so at least that's an option next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

The higher policy price is likely due to the difference between social/domestic use and Class 2 – Business use [This covers the vehicle in connection with your job such as driving to different sites from your place of work]

There's also Class 3 – Business Use
    It will provide cover for transportation of light goods, for example, flower delivery and selling door-to-door sales. I would doubt that's applicable here

Class 2 only increases it by around 20-40 Euro

We claim mileage in the office so will have upgraded out policies

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

My car is a company car. I rang creann and crean insurance and they sorted it out. I had to sign over my own ncb but I figured it was worth it. Hope this helps.

My car is a company car. I rang creann and crean insurance and they sorted it out. I had to sign over my own ncb but I figured it was worth it. Hope this helps.

Thanks Krusty, got sorted. I got similar quotes from two brokers on Friday and like you I will have to sign over the NCB.

Advertisement