Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dessie Scahill to retire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭droidman123

Worst commentator ever,consistently calling wrong horse placings,wrong names,wrong leaders, most of the time he didnt even mention fallers in races,should of hung up his mike years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

should of hung up his mike years ago

Have to agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

It's about time. He's an awful commentator. I for one won't miss him commentating on races. He's just awful and brings nothing to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I think it's sad to see Dessie Scargill retiring....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

ITS A TREMENJUS FINISH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭gazza1

What worries me is who replaces him. At least with Dessie you knew what you were getting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Jerry Hannon is a far better commentator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Dessie may not have been great, but he was a lot better than Peter O'Hehir.

How and why does he still have the top commentary job? Has to be just out of respect to his father and some weird culture RTE sports department have going on where its basically impossible to be fired but still, at this stage he doesn't even seem like he enjoys it. Practically yawning while calling close finishes in big races.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Richard Pugh, point to point expert, has done well when given a chance on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Gregk961 wrote: »
    ITS A TREMENJUS FINISH

It's a head bobber. :pac:

• Advertisement

Lost one dere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭droidman123

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Lost one dere

Thank god it wasmt the one i backed....mine is in the lead....oh hang on.....damn!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

gazza1 wrote: »
    What worries me is who replaces him. At least with Dessie you knew what you were getting.

Yeah, missed fallers, no idea what was going on if the Giggstown or Rich Ricci horses were beaten, and another one for Willie and Ruby. Christmas 12 months was a classic. Here comes Kalkir staying on strongly. Was 6 lengths down with 50 yards left, and well chinned at the time. He didn't know what was in front. Fiscal Focus won at 33-1.Jimmy Magee of racing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Yeah, missed fallers, no idea what was going on if the Giggstown or Rich Ricci horses were beaten, and another one for Willie and Ruby. Christmas 12 months was a classic. Here comes Kalkir staying on strongly. Was 6 lengths down with 50 yards left, and well chinned at the time. He didn't know what was in front. Fiscal Focus won at 33-1.Jimmy Magee of racing

Pretty sure I mentioned it here before but I seen him shout out something like "Probably a dead heat" as 2 horses crossed the line a few years ago, sure enough it was! Some call in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Its absolutely comical some of the remarks here in relation to Dessie. The man is an institution. I'm sure overtime when you hit 70 you will find the eyesight and recollection skills will diminish a bit. It cant be easy in 30 horse fields with half the horses in Gigginstown colours to know which one is which. Do you expect him to have a different catch phrase at the end of each race and recall a 50 graded horse winning with same enthusiasm of a group winner. Its disgusting to see such blatant ageism at display on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭flos1964

yea...failing eyesight and fading memory...all the skills you look for in a horserace commentator....

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Its absolutely comical some of the remarks here in relation to Dessie. The man is an institution. I'm sure overtime when you hit 70 you will find the eyesight and recollection skills will diminish a bit. It cant be easy in 30 horse fields with half the horses in Gigginstown colours to know which one is which. Do you expect him to have a different catch phrase at the end of each race and recall a 50 graded horse winning with same enthusiasm of a group winner. Its disgusting to see such blatant ageism at display on here.

What a load of rubbish

Ageism FFS. He's been gone at the game years

Either he can do the job or he can't, IMO he can't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ah he’s rubbish on the Sunday game,...

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

I'm not old enough to know Irish racing without Dessie, an institution. Some of the comments on here are disrespectful beyond belief, I wish him a happy retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Yeah I wish him well too but he was an awful commentator. Ruined some top races for me no excitement whatsoever called the first furlong the same as the last

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Richard Pugh, point to point expert, has done well when given a chance on RTE

People are mentioning how Dessie misses/missed things, Pugh is also pretty good at missing things, too. And he calls horses home in the wrong order, has called photo finished at point to points (which a commentator shoudn't do - and he also called it wrong!), and has said horses have pulled up when they clearly finished, a little bit back, perhaps, but have actually finished. And his form isn't accurate either. My friend had a horse a few years back and of all the times it ran, I think Pugh only got the form right 3 times!

Yeah I wish him well too but he was an awful commentator

This is the crux. Nobody wishes him ill but he should have been put out to grass a long time ago.

This "institution" nonsense is just that , nonsense. It's like Ger Canning on the GAA. I can't remember GAA without him commentating but that doesn't mean he's any good. In fact I can't listen to him, I'll mute the television if he's on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

As they break away......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

I'll miss his voice and in a close race his excitement would get your heart beating a bit faster. I won't miss him mispronouncing Djakadam is Jack-Adam though, that always annoyed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Last day tomorrow. Good interview here with Tony O'Hehir - he looks fresh enough for 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

I liked him as a commentar , was enthusiastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

If you don't love Dessie then you're dead inside

Advertisement