Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gable end wall - Please help

Options
  • 25-06-2018 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all.

Have the following, gable end wall constantly battered by the irish weather.

33kwxf4.jpg

Unfortunatly damp is rampant in the room that this is connected to. The mortar has been filled in with concrete and the moisture is getting trapped and seeping through so I think the problem is identified.

My question is how do I remedy this?

2 routes I can think of

1. Remove concrete mortor and repoint with lime (Very time consuming)

2. Leave as is and use Impervo (A sealant that absorbs into the concrete and stone work repelling the water)

Obviously option 2 would be better, but I ask fellow boardsies, what would you do?

The long term goal is to get the wall dry so I can repaint the interior wall without the damp getting through and crapping out the paint work.

Any thoughts, guidance would be greatly appreciated!.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

put footpaths around it to protect the foundations from water. a lot of that stone isnt pointed.

those coating are only a stop gap measure.

i would point it or plaster it with lime

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Cyrusmekon

Thanks @the_pen_turner

Apologies, that was an older picture. Since then, the foundations have been pointed with lime and french drains installed, so thats holding up really well.

Unfortunatly the rest of the wall is not up to shape.

So you reckon repoint. What tools would be advisable? Seems to be a mixed bag of possibilites and by hand is out of the question.

Angle grinder with a diamond blade saw or a power chisel? Would need to be quite accuaret in the work.

Appreciate any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Pity the OP could not post an up to date picture. sloppy :(

Not clear of wall has a dpc

Solar drive could be an issue here as well so I would clad it with a ventilated cement board rain shield

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement