Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public transport info RE: Papal Visit

Options
  • 25-06-2018 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭

With the Pope coming to town on the 25th and 26th August Dublin Bus, Luas and Irish Rail have released travel information regarding extra services and travel hubs for the Papal visit no information has released just yet by Bus Eireann but I'm sure it will be released in due course. Also a special Papal travel card will go on sale soon in stores nationwide.
    Dublin Bus wrote:
    Visit of Pope Francis for the World Meeting of Families 2018

We will run our normal scheduled Sunday service on 26 August. Diversions will be in place on these services and more information will be available closer to the event date.

In addition to this, Dublin Bus will have dedicated transport hubs, throughout the city, to bring you as close as possible to the Phoenix Park. Regular services from the transport hubs will commence from early in the morning and finish at night.

The hubs will operate from the following locations (please note this is subject to change):

Clarehall (exact location to be determined)
    Swords Business Park
    UCD
    Grange Road Rathfarnham
    Grange Castle, Clondalkin
    Celbridge (exact location to be determined)
    Blanchardstown (exact location to be determined)
    Stocking Avenue, Tallaght
    A special Papal Travel Card will be available to purchase online soon. The card will also go on sale in newsagents across the country soon. This card is valid for travel on services from the dedicated transport hubs and on all normal scheduled services on 26 August.

Updates will be available here, on Facebook and Twitter @dublinbusnews or by calling our customer service line on (01) 8734222. Lines are open from 08:30 - 18:00 from Monday to Saturday excluding bank holidays.

FAQs

Will my ticket for the Mass allow me to travel on Dublin Bus?
    No. Customers travelling on Sunday 26 August should purchase the Papal Travel Card. This Papal Travel Card will be available to buy online soon. These will also go on sale soon in newsagents across the country.

Do I need to book a ticket for Dublin Bus or a transport hub now?
    A special Papal Travel Card will be available to purchase online soon. The card will also go on sale in newsagents across the country soon. This card is valid for travel on services from the dedicated transport hubs and on all normal scheduled services on 26 August.

Will Dublin bus routes change/scheduled stops change on 26 August?
    Diversions will be in place on normal scheduled services on 26 August and more information will be available closer to the event date.

Am I allocated a bus to return on or how does this work?
    Customers will be required to return to the hub they arrived by, where buses will depart regularly.

What if I miss the bus I want to return on?
    Customers can return by normal scheduled services. The special Papal Travel Card will be valid.

What if I lose my bus ticket in the Park?
    You should return to the hub you travelled from and contact dedicated Dublin Bus employees who will assist you.

If I arrive at a Dublin Bus hub, will someone be available to assist me?
    Each Dublin Bus hub will have Dublin Bus supervision to assist customers on the day.
    Irish Rail wrote:
    How to Get to Phoenix Park - Train Services Information and Directions
    Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail wishes to advise customers that we are increasing capacity and providing additional train services where possible to bring customers to and from the Pope's mass at Phoenix Park on Sunday 26th August in a safe and efficient manner. The papal mass will be at the site of the Papal Cross in the heart of the Phoenix Park and is set to begin at 15:00hrs.

The closest train stations to Phoenix Park

Dublin Heuston Station - 700metres from Park Gate Street entrance to the Park. From there it is a 2.5km walk to the Papal Cross (view directions on google maps). Alternatively, 1.7km from the Islandbridge Gate entrance to the Phoenix Park. From there it is a 3km walk to the Papal Cross (view directions on google maps).
    Ashtown Station - 650metres from the Ashtown Gate entrance to the Phoenix Park. From there it is a 3km walk to the Papal Cross(view directions on google maps).
    Navan Road Parkway Station - 1.3km from the Ashtown Gate entrance to the Phoenix Park. From there it is a 3km walk to the Papal Cross (view directions on google maps). Alternatively, 2.2km from the Castleknock Gate entrance to the Phoenix Park and a 2.2km walk from there to the Papal Cross (view directions on google maps).
    Due to the increased volume of passengers expected to travel for this event, train services will be extremely busy, both before and after the papal mass. Due to this, Iarnród Éireann will have special arrangements in place:

Intercity Services
    Intercity Services advance purchasing online or by phone is mandatory for August 26th
    Intercity Services tickets will not be available at station on the day or in advance.
    Seating will not be assigned on Intercity Services before and after the Pope's mass. An unallocated seating policy will be in operation. This means you will not be assigned a seat on your ticket. Customers are advised to make use of any available seats on the service
    Only Low Flex fares will be available. Customers must travel on the service they have booked on to ensure travel. The ability to change trains, cancel or seek refund will not be permitted
    Those in possession of a Free Travel Pass, Open Tickets, Seasonal and Taxsaver ticket(s) or any other open tickets must book a Seat Only Reservation online in order to ensure passenger allocation to services operating before and after the Pope's mass at Phoenix Park
    The price of Seat Only Reservation will be free as we will not be offering assigned seating on the following services;

Belfast Services
    16:00hrs and 19:00hrs Dublin to Belfast
    Translink will be operating services from Northern Ireland. To book services originating from Northern Ireland, please
    visit www.translink.co.uk

Cork Services
    08:25hrs and 10:25hrs Cork to Dublin
    16:00hrs, 17:00hrs, 18:00hrs, 19:00hs and 21:00hrs Dublin to Cork

Galway Services
    08:05hrs and 11:00hrs Galway to Dublin
    16:35hrs, 18:45hrs and 20:30hrs Dublin to Galway

Limerick Services
    08:25hrs and 10:25hrs Limerick to Dublin
    18:25hrs, 19:25hrs and 21:00hrs Dublin to Limerick

Rosslare Services
    09:40hrs Rosslare to Dublin
    18:30hrs Dublin to Rosslare

Sligo Services
    09:00hrs and 11:00hrs Sligo to Dublin
    16:00hrs, 17:05hrs and 19:05hrs Dublin to Sligo

Tralee Services
    19:05hrs Dublin to Tralee

Waterford Services
    09:05hrs Waterford to Dublin
    17:45hrs and 18:40hrs Dublin to Waterford

Westport Services
    07:50hrs Westport to Dublin
    18:30hrs Dublin to Westport

Our Journey Planner can help you plan your train trip ahead of time.

DART and Commuter Services
    Extra services will be provided and the Papal Travel Card is valid on all DART services. Those wishing to travel by DART may also purchase their ticket on the day, use a valid season ticket or their leapcard.

Large crowds are expected to travel, it is advisable to allow plenty of time to queue for your ticket or purchase in advance. The details of the DART and Commuter timetable for Sunday 26th August is set out below,

Maynooth services will operate with a 10 minute frequency before and after the Pope's mass
    DART services will operate with a 10 minute frequency before and after the Pope's mass
    Portlaoise services information on additional services to be announced at a later date
    Dundalk/Drogheda services information on additional services to be announced at a later date
    Those intending to travel on Commuter services may purchase their ticket on the day, use a valid season ticket, their leapcard or Papal Travel Card if they are within the Short Hop Zone.

Travelling to Knock
    Train transport to Knock on 26th August will be extremely limited. Those wishing to travel must book a ticket in advance at www.irishrail.ie this includes Department of Social Protection pass holders and annual ticket holders. If you do not have an advance booking you will not be permitted to travel.

Limited services will operate from Westport, Ballina & Athlone with a bus connection at Claremorris for Knock. Full details of these services will be available soon on www.irishrail.ie

For more information on this visit, especially the events open to the public, please see Pope in Ireland.
    Luas wrote:
    All available Luas trams will be operating on Sunday 26 August from 7am until 23:30. The Papal Travel Card can be used on the Luas services. This Papal Travel Card is now available to buy online. It will be available soon in newsagents across the country. Please note:

The Green Line will operate from Brides Glen to Broombridge.

The Red Line will operate from Tallaght and Saggart to Blackhorse and from The Point to Smithfield.

No service between Blackhorse and Smithfield
    From Broombridge, Blackhorse and Smithfield, passengers will walk via the dedicated routes. Given the high volumes of people likely to be attempting to use Luas services on this day, please give yourself lots of time to get to the venue.

FAQs
    Will my ticket for the Mass allow me to travel on Luas?
    No. Customers travelling on Sunday 26 August should purchase the Papal Travel Card. This Papal Travel Card is now available to buy online. These will also go on sale soon in newsagents across the country.

Will Luas be stopping at all stops?
    Luas services will operate under direction of An Gardá Síochána and Luas Control. Luas services will commence at 7am on Sunday 26 August and operate until 23:30. The Green Line will operate from Brides Glen to Broombridge. The Red Line will operate from Tallaght and Saggart to Blackhorse and from The Point to Smithfield.

Will I be able to Park in a Luas Park & Ride?
    Yes but parking will be limited. See Luas Park & Rides for information on locations and number of spaces. Customers are advised to note Park and Rides will reach maximum capacity very early.

Will Luas be putting on extra trams?
    All available trams will be in service and fully utilised given the anticipated increase in volume. Frequencies on Saturday and Sunday will be published in due course. Given the high volumes of people likely to be attempting to use Luas services this day, please give yourself lots of time to get to the venue.

How do I contact Luas and/or follow Luas for more information?
    Phone: LoCall 1850 300 604
    Twitter: @Luas 7am – 9pm
    Email: info@luas.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

What about specials? Last time was memorable for the reopening of Ashtown station and a wild array of specials from all over the country. Digging with the wrong foot my interest in the visit will be purely rail related and not very much at that.

CtbtYxcXgAAiFGp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Del.Monte wrote:
    What about specials? Last time was memorable for the reopening of Ashtown station and a wild array of specials from all over the country. Digging with the wrong foot my interest in the visit will be purely rail related and not very much at that.

I'd say given that Sunday is a busy enough day for intercity services and Irish rail do constantly say that they have limited stock , I'd say there's little hope for special intercity services.

But at least there will be 10 minute DART and maynooth line services and I'd say Ashtown will be used a fair bit .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Papal travelcards can be bought here

https://pay.myeasypay.com/productlist

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

thomasj wrote: »
    I'd say given that Sunday is a busy enough day for intercity services and Irish rail do constantly say that they have limited stock , I'd say there's little hope for special intercity services.

But at least there will be 10 minute DART and maynooth line services and I'd say Ashtown will be used a fair bit .

There will likely be at least one special from Waterford, Cork, Galway with possible extra commuter ex Athlone/Portlaoise/Longford etc.

Its here where IE will make the money, no free passes valid!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Del.Monte wrote: »

CtbtYxcXgAAiFGp.jpg

In my own collection I have a letter of thanks that was issued to staff after the event. Naturally I have this excellent booklet as well.

Drivers and guards and signalmen and inspectors were not far off working 24/7 for the couple of days that yer man was in the park. CIE even took the drastic step of cancelling freight trains to free up extra paths and crews; action that was unheard of in them days. Sadly they didn't resort to using liner boxes and stone wagons to carry passengers although I gather that it was done for an Army train during the Eucharistic Conference of 1932.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Amazing that they can't find staff to run scheduled trains at the moment but appear to have no issues laying on all sorts of additional services for this...
    Seating will not be assigned on Intercity Services before and after the Pope's mass. An unallocated seating policy will be in operation. This means you will not be assigned a seat on your ticket. Customers are advised to make use of any available seats on the service
    whats the point of that?

Amazing that they can't find staff to run scheduled trains at the moment but appear to have no issues laying on all sorts of additional services for this...

whats the point of that?

The system will unlikely function....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Really simple

It avoids people running up and down platforms looking for coach X
    It allow for the use of any train provided it has the same/more seats than sold
    Avoids any possible issues of impossible seats, or you are in my seat situations

Really simple

It avoids people running up and down platforms looking for coach X
    It allow for the use of any train provided it has the same/more seats than sold
    Avoids any possible issues of impossible seats, or you are in my seat situations

Come on, all are correct but the reality here is it is more likely than not names will not be displayed and lots of angry people and potential revenue loss to IE. The system can barley display a handful of names on departure from a terminus what hope does it have of displayed 300-400 on a service. I do agree with the policy adopted.

May as well close reservations 24 hours in advance and leave the train idling all night with ID in place to have any hope for them to load.

They say only low fares will be available but are selling all types.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

What Irish Rail is proposing is perfectly sensible and will make operations a lot smoother.

Free seating will result in quicker boarding, bear in mind the bulk of passengers will not be familiar with travel by train. Do you know where coach A will be in Thurles? Well it depends on the train, which way around it will be etc

If you send out a 4+3 ICR instead of 3+4 you get all kinds of fun with missing seats etc

The free seating model is already used on most sports specials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Free seat model all the way on this one I agree with 100%

I could already see people booking seats been taking up by people not even knowing about the reservation system

And having one Irish trail staff member on the train try Deal with 100's of people in seats they shouldn't be in and refuse to move because they don't want to stand for hours even though someone paid for said seat.

First come, first serve. Same as for buses.

Same when you walk in a put on match day, first come first serve etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

If everyone has to book a seat, what does it matter if it's a particular seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Addle wrote: »
    If everyone has to book a seat, what does it matter if it's a particular seat?

No , we're saying no seat booking at all.

Which means there will be plenty of standing on trains.

Irish rail want it so that when you buy a ticket it's not for a seat. Just a ticket to board the train only.

"Advance Purchase is Mandatory on Intercity Services" on the Irish rail website.
    Will they limit the amount of tickets for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Addle wrote: »
    "Advance Purchase is Mandatory on Intercity Services" on the Irish rail website.

They never do when they are packed on a Friday evening.

Del2005 wrote: »
    They never do when they are packed on a Friday evening.

But advance purchase isn't mandatory on a regular Friday evening service.

What Irish Rail is proposing is perfectly sensible and will make operations a lot smoother.

Free seating will result in quicker boarding, bear in mind the bulk of passengers will not be familiar with travel by train. Do you know where coach A will be in Thurles? Well it depends on the train, which way around it will be etc

If you send out a 4+3 ICR instead of 3+4 you get all kinds of fun with missing seats etc

The free seating model is already used on most sports specials

Whats the difference between 4+3, 3+4? The system wouldn't be short seats because it can label in whichever order and maximum online capacity per coach is 60 when most carriages have 72/66/54. Now the layout may be different but its not like the 5 cars.

The model is the right one been used but IE couldn't trust the system to allow reservations be displayed.

On Intercity most likely, you wouldn't want headlines of OAPs standing for 2-3 hours in the paper the next day.

Advertisement