Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Radio

Options
  • 25-06-2018 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Is it safe to leave an electric radio plugged-in 24/7?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If it wasn't we'd be dead by now.

We have at least three plugged in all the time plus another 3 clock radios which are obviously always plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭cnoc

Thanks for your reply.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

cnoc wrote: »
    Is it safe to leave an electric radio plugged-in 24/7?

Typically modern Irish homes have many devices that are powered 24/7 without issue. These devices include:
    • Smoke detector
    • Boiler
    • Intruder alarm
    • Wifi router
    • Digi boxes
    • Shaver socket
    • Doorbell transformer
    • Timer circuits on cookers
    • Google Home / Alexa
    • Integrated appliances such as dishwashers and microwave ovens

As well as most of the above examples I leave my iMac and radio permanently plugged in / powered, however they are CE certified and good quality. If they were cheap and nasty Chinese types I wouldn't take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, check the owner's manual to see what they say for standby power usage. It's usually a watt or two meaning that it's not using anything worth talking about and is perfectly safe to leave plugged in.

If you have any doubt, leave the radio plugged in but switched off for an hour or so, then check the plug and the device itself to see if you can detect any heat in which case you might consider unplugging it at night.

Advertisement