Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N72 Fernoy Bypass

• 25-06-2018 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

I see that the N72 Mallow bypass thread is getting a lot posts. However, has an N72 bypass of Fermoy ever been mooted. In reality it’s badly needed but never talked of.

Would be a tricky bypass with current alignments. Would require s third crossing of the Blackwater.

Another option would be to redesignate the R666 as the N72, to remove any need for a new crossing. Would require a lot of work on the R666. However the current N72 is nearly just as bad.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There are no current plans for a Fermoy bypass on the N72.

I agree regarding the R666. A simple link road from the N72 west of Fermoy linking in with the old N8 near M8 J14 would be useful. From what I remember the N72 east of Fermoy isn't any good and that hairpin near Tallow is dreadful. In fact, Google Maps diverts Mallow-Dungarvan traffic via the R666.

I'm going to post a thread on this issue later as I have a long post done up, but the long term purpose of the N72 needs to be given a think. If the National Development Plan is implemented in full, end to end traffic on the N72 will actually be faster via other routings. Killarney/Killorglin-Waterford will be faster using the N22, N40 and N25. Mallow-Waterford traffic will be faster using the N72/N73, M8 and N24 which will be dual carriageway from Mitchelstown to Waterford.

Advertisement