Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower only works when i flush the toilet

Options
  • 25-06-2018 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I recently got a pump shower installed in my ensuite upstairs. Sometimes when I try and turn it on the water wont come out. If I flush the toilet the water comes out of the shower when I turn it on. The toilet is working off the same pump aswell to fill it after I flush. Other times then I could turn on the shower and its perfect, no need to flush the toilet. Any ideas what could be the problem? any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I think it must be something to do with the amount of flow required to initiate the pump. Try turning the shower on full and possibly initiate with cold and see does this get the pump going. I have a similar set up and only switch the pump on when I need to shower (although this is a bit inconvenient due to the switch location). I do that because unnecessary running of the pump wears the internals (as far as I know). Can you initiate the pump by opening the sink tap?

Somebody else more expert will offer advice hopefully, but it might also be due to a fault in the mounting of the unit that monitors the water flow to initiate the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 owenyball

Thanks I never tried opening the tap to see does that work, but even if that does work it still doesn't solve the main problem. Could it be possible there is an airlock somewhere and when I flush the toilet that makes the water kick in? I really haven't a clue but its so annoying when things don't work the way the should....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

owenyball wrote: »
    Thanks I never tried opening the tap to see does that work, but even if that does work it still doesn't solve the main problem. Could it be possible there is an airlock somewhere and when I flush the toilet that makes the water kick in? I really haven't a clue but its so annoying when things don't work the way the should....

The showerhead is probably the highest draw off point and if so there may not be enough head from the supply tank to close the flow switch on the pump, I think you need a minimum of 0.6 LPM, there are two types of pump, positive (which you may have) and negative head. The negative head will start even if the shower head is higher than the supply tank.

If you throw the shower hose/head to the floor, does the pump start?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

owenyball wrote: »
    its so annoying when things don't work the way the should....

Any recourse to the person who installed it?

Advertisement