Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State and Private pension

Options
  • 25-06-2018 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Seems like a simple question but I'm getting different opinions on this:
    If I've worked all my life as a PAYE, and also have a private pension, will I be still entitled to the full state pension or will there be any hidden catches such as covert taxing etc?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Speaking from experience,(now retired with private pension) you will get the full state pension if you have the required contributions. Depending on your circumstances (PAYE allowance) you will pay PAYE if your total income is greater than your PAYE allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Pat2000 wrote: »
    Seems like a simple question but I'm getting different opinions on this:
    If I've worked all my life as a PAYE, and also have a private pension, will I be still entitled to the full state pension or will there be any hidden catches such as covert taxing etc?

No covert taxing, but your state pension will be liable for tax.
    A “Contributory” State Pension is based on your PRSI history and is not means tested so any other income (including your occupational/private pensions) will not have any impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭BowWow

I'm not an expert, but a pensioner.

You will need to see the actual terms of your private pension.

Some schemes are "non integrated" - i.e. you will get whatever state pension you are entitled to, in addition to the private pension.

Some schemes are "integrated" - i.e. your private pension will reduce by the amount of the state pension when you reach the age to collect the state pension. (Currently 66, but going to 67 on 1st. January 2021).

Advertisement