Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockheed Martin X33

Options
  • 25-06-2018 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭

So we all know the story here. Composite fuel tank failed and yet NASA refused the X33 be built with aluminium tanks and so it got scrapped. That was 2001. Northrop then solved the fuel tank issue in 2004.

The question is though. It is now 17 years later and a lot of the technology required for the X33 to work is now in place. I don’t think it would cost much to build an X33 and have the whole Venture Star concept tested.

The whole thing pisses me off. The X33 was basically built and then scrapped by the Bush administration. Rocketdyne built the RS2200 linear aero spike engines. Probably the most advanced rocket engines ever built. 17 years later and the technology has never been used.

Yet we have billions being spent on SLS which is nothing more than reassembled Space Shuttle technology which is already basically obsolete.

A 2 pronged approach is required. Low cost to LEO can be achieved in 2 ways. SSTO or Landing cores and reusing them. SpaceX has already shown that reusing cores works. They’ve also shown that they can build dependable launch system. Congress needs to scrap SLS and properly fund the BFR. Private industry will get it done cheaper.

A new drive to produce a SSTO scale model should then be launched. Use the X33 as a basis and apply new technologies learned over the last 17 years. Huge advances have been made in composite materials which could make SSTO even more viable.

Is all this just a silly suggestion. Are there any SLS supporters here who actually think this is the way forward?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The whole thing pisses me off. The X33 was basically built and then scrapped by the Bush administration. Rocketdyne built the RS2200 linear aero spike engines. Probably the most advanced rocket engines ever built. 17 years later and the technology has never been used.
    True AM, or it was "scrapped" officially and the tech ended up in black military hands. I'd be very surprised if such proven technology that cost a pretty penny wasn't being used.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Wibbs wrote: »
    True AM, or it was "scrapped" officially and the tech ended up in black military hands. I'd be very surprised if such proven technology that cost a pretty penny wasn't being used.

True. No doubt elements of the X33 was used for instance on the X37. Very frustrating to see the first real attempt at a SSTO vehicle not being even tested though.

And the engines not being used. What a waste.

Advertisement