Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking hot water cylinder

Options
  • 24-06-2018 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi all,

The hot water cylinder has a continual slow drip. I want to get this sorted as the wood the cylinder is resting on is getting damaged. Someone suggested a sealer that can be put in the tank in the attic and will travel down and seal the leak ? Any thoughts ? Or maybe I’m better off getting the tank replaced

Appreciate any advice. Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Can you see where the hole is? Pic?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Geimhreadh

Just had mine replaced because of the same issue.

Plumber came out had a look and said there was not point trying to repair it as it would only be a matter of time before it started again and maybe worse.

Cost me 380 altogether for a stainless steel tank. Took 4 hours to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MillyD123

Wearb wrote: »
    Can you see where the hole is? Pic?

No. I can’t see. All I can see a solitary drop on the wooden boards

Geimhreadh wrote: »
    Just had mine replaced because of the same issue.

Plumber came out had a look and said there was not point trying to repair it as it would only be a matter of time before it started again and maybe worse.

Cost me 380 altogether for a stainless steel tank. Took 4 hours to complete.

Thanks for reply. That sounds reasonable enough. Our current tank is copper. Might be worth switch to stainless steel as it might not corrode so much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RebelRebel2

Hi OP...From my experience plumbers tend to replace rather than repair cylinders as repair would involve draining the system & welding so you'd being paying quite a lot on labour and no guarantee a new leak won't appear somewhere else. Afaik steel cylinders aren't made in same size as domestic copper ones so may be an issue in getting one to fit..Hope this helps

• Advertisement

Hi OP...From my experience plumbers tend to replace rather than repair cylinders as repair would involve draining the system & welding so you'd being paying quite a lot on labour and no guarantee a new leak won't appear somewhere else. Afaik steel cylinders aren't made in same size as domestic copper ones so may be an issue in getting one to fit..Hope this helps

Very helpful. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

MillyD123 wrote: »
    Very helpful. Thank you.

Helpful and incorrect.
    Plumbers change Cylinders because it’s the right thing to do. Pinholes appear in a cylinders for a reason, and doing a patch up job is a cowboy method. We change cylinders because it’s a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RebelRebel2

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Helpful and incorrect.
    Plumbers change Cylinders because it’s the right thing to do. Pinholes appear in a cylinders for a reason, and doing a patch up job is a cowboy method. We change cylinders because it’s a better job.
    [/Not sure what is incorrect about my advice. Pretty much same advice as you gave]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Helpful and incorrect.
    [/Not sure what is incorrect about my advice. Pretty much same advice as you gave]

Indeed you did! Don’t know what way I read your original message! My apologies.

Advertisement