Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T90sr element

Options
  • 24-06-2018 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, is it be straight forward to replace the element on a T90sr?

We got it installed at the end of January 2017, sometime last year earthridge came out and replaced the element as it was really noisy, its making a racket again and I'd rather do it myself if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

guil wrote:
    We got it installed at the end of January 2017, sometime last year earthridge came out and replaced the element as it was really noisy, its making a racket again and I'd rather do it myself if possible.

The shower is still under warranty.

If you are going through an element every 6 months due to limescale then you really should look at getting a water softening system in. It will pay for itself within a few years & you'll save money on the running costs of anything with an element. Shower, immersion, dishwasher & washing machine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭guil

I'm renting, are those lime wizard things any good? Shower is the only thing we really have a problem with, obviously the kettle has a build up but I just use a descaler every so often. Have one of those filter jugs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

guil wrote: »
    I'm renting, are those lime wizard things any good? Shower is the only thing we really have a problem with, obviously the kettle has a build up but I just use a descaler every so often. Have one of those filter jugs.
    If you are renting, why are you taking responsibility for making sure you have a working shower?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

guil wrote:

I don't know if limewizard works. Personally I'm not sure if a filter on its own can stop lime buildup.

A new element is around 150 supplied & fitted or around 95 Inc p&p just to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I don't know if limewizard works. Personally I'm not sure if a filter on its own can stop lime buildup.

A new element is around 150 supplied & fitted or around 95 Inc p&p just to buy

I suppose one could reduce the effect of limescale buildup by switching the shower power to its coldest setting for 10 secs or so after each shower to purge the hotter water and replicate the phased shutdown that some makers claim will reduce the limescale build up but it is a pain in the --- for every user to do this after every shower.

• Advertisement

John.G wrote:
    I suppose one could reduce the effect of limescale buildup by switching the shower power to its coldest setting for 10 secs or so after each shower to purge the hotter water and replicate the phased shutdown that some makers claim will reduce the limescale build up but it is a pain in the --- for every user to do this after every shower.

+1
    The most damage done to the element is on shutdown as there is a can of hot water getting hotter by the heat still in the element.

I wouldn't bother with the cold water in my own home but if I lived in Balbriggan I certainly would.

We have been doing that since the element was replaced but somehow it hasn't lasted as long as the first one and the t90xr it replaced lasted a lot longer.

guil wrote:
    We have been doing that since the element was replaced but somehow it hasn't lasted as long as the first one and the t90xr it replaced lasted a lot longer.

You should definitely have a look at water softening system

guil wrote: »

The heating cans my be of different design and perhaps the T90SR is more compact.

Mira do it this way.
    https://www.mirashowers.co.uk/mira-inspired/design-innovation/mira-clearscale-technology/

The heating can hasn't changed since 2010.

My brother lives in lucan for close to 30 years. No issues with limescale for the first 20 years but 10 years ago the council changed where the water comes from. End result is they don't get as much long out of their elements. Maybe something like this happened to you

• Advertisement

Yes I suppose that is most likely what has happened.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The heating can hasn't changed since 2010.

My brother lives in lucan for close to 30 years. No issues with limescale for the first 20 years but 10 years ago the council changed where the water comes from. End result is they don't get as much long out of their elements. Maybe something like this happened to you

So the Mira type can with its wider spacing etc etc and phased shutdown probably wouldn't give a very long life either, the water softener seems to be the only way out, I can't really see the "wizard" doing much as its just a filter?.

John.G wrote:
    So the Mira type can with its wider spacing etc etc and phased shutdown probably wouldn't give a very long life either, the water softener seems to be the only way out, I can't really see the "wizard" doing much as its just a filter?.

Mira claim that the mira elite qt is ideal for hard water areas yet a lad rang me from the Midlands not long ago. Shower was 11 months old (13 months left in the warranty) & element needed replacing due to limescale. Now I fully understand that he needs a water softening system but he bought mira over triton because of the claim that mira is suitable for hard water areas. Mira refused to cover the element for limescale damage despite their claims. Triton don't make these claims & even say in their T&Cs limescale damage isn't covered yet as a good will gesture they replace the element once. With the one element replacement triton have a longer lifespan than mira with their phased shutdown. I believe its tritons superior after care policy that explains why there are around seven triton t90 showers in Ireland for every one mira elite.

It must sound like I work for Triton at times. I don't & at times I wouldn't be Tritons favourite person in the world. If there is something wrong with one of their showers I'll say it

When they replaced ours they didn't charge the service fee, just the price of the element.

Advertisement