Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying new house empty for 10 years

Options
  • 24-06-2018 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi we are in the process of buying a new build house which has stood empty for 10 years and not been lived in. The utilities are connected but not on, how can we get them turned on before we exchange keys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I don't think you can, you have to be the owner of the property to authorise the suppliers to turn on the utilities, and you have to close the purchase to receive the keys and become the owner. I could be wrong but we bought a house that had been rented and gas and electricity were cut off so we had them turned on once we became the owners.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

IIRC you will need an electrician to check and certify the installation before ESB will reconnect the property. Don't be surprised if it takes a few weeks to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graham wrote: »
    IIRC you will need an electrician to check and certify the installation before ESB will reconnect the property. Don't be surprised if it takes a few weeks to sort out.

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/new-connections/reconnecting-supply

can indeed be a longwinded process

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Have you had the property inspected?

Could need a lot of work after been left for so long.

OP; Esb may well have a list of electricians experienced in the kind of checking that is needed. The one who came here did only that work. He literally took the whole system apart, dismantling sockets, light fittings etc etc. Took a whole day for a small property.

It is actually very reassuring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Have you had the property inspected?

Could need a lot of work after been left for so long.

Agree totally with this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Cash_Q wrote:
    I don't think you can, you have to be the owner of the property to authorise the suppliers to turn on the utilities, and you have to close the purchase to receive the keys and become the owner. I could be wrong but we bought a house that had been rented and gas and electricity were cut off so we had them turned on once we became the owners.

How long did that process take and what exactly were you required to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

chicorytip wrote:
    How long did that process take and what exactly were you required to do?

I think our experience would be different in that they were "cut off" rather than disconnected, if that makes sense?

I rang ESB and they switched the account to our name when we provided the MPRN, reconnected within minutes over the phone. Same with the gas, provided GPRN and it was back on immediately.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    I think our experience would be different in that they were "cut off" rather than disconnected, if that makes sense?

+1

If memory serves the process for a property that has been disconnected for a while goes something like this.

Spend days trying to track down the correct MPRN. Be prepared to be given several incorrect/non-existent MPRNs as part of the process. Be prepared to be told the meter you're looking at doesn't exist.
    Find an electrician who is prepared to come out, check the electrics, make safe where necessary and certify. Give him/her your first-born as part payment.
    Send certificate into ESB networks.
    Phone ESB networks daily to beg, plead, flatter and generally cajole.
    Wait
    Wait some more.
    Get a reconnection date.
    Organise someone being on site at reconnection date.
    Electrician back out to check you and/or the property haven't been frazzled.

+1

If memory serves the process for a property that has been disconnected for a while goes something like this.

Spend days trying to track down the correct MPRN. Be prepared to be given several incorrect/non-existent MPRNs as part of the process. Be prepared to be told the meter you're looking at doesn't exist.
    Find an electrician who is prepared to come out, check the electrics, make safe where necessary and certify. Give him/her your first-born as part payment.
    Send certificate into ESB networks.
    Phone ESB networks daily to beg, plead, flatter and generally cajole.
    Wait
    Wait some more.
    Get a reconnection date.
    Organise someone being on site at reconnection date.
    Electrician back out to check you and/or the property haven't been frazzled.

Now then! Stop scaring the poor lady!

If there has not been any resident there, easier. But not as easy as transferring account on change of tenancy..

I did this last year. Was told by the council that they were dealing with the electricity connection here as the property is theirs. Had been empty for five years and I did have the MRPN off an old bill. Thanlkfully as the outside meter had been ??vandalised??? Although ESB swore blind it was working..

After 12 weeks of promises in increasinhgly cold weather, I called ESB myself to be told there had been no application from the council so I would need to tart over, and that can take up to 12 weeks OP

I set things in motion but then also contacted my TD etc,, electrician cameout then silence. I am old and disabled and there are laws

Mid Jan and no progress so a friendly barrister made ONE CALL to ESB an within 2 days the engineers were out.

So that was from early September to mid January.

OP needs to check with the house owner what the status is,get the MRPN number if there is one, then call ESB and start proceedings . They need payment up front etc.

The current status is the first step. May be the meter etc has been set up? o

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »

If there has not been any resident there, easier. But not as easy as transferring account on change of tenancy..

I did this last year. Was told by the council that they were dealing with the electricity connection here as the property is theirs. Had been empty for five years and I did have the MRPN off an old bill. Thanlkfully as the outside meter had been ??vandalised??? Although ESB swore blind it was working..

After 12 weeks of promises in increasinhgly cold weather, I called ESB myself to be told there had been no application from the council so I would need to tart over, and that can take up to 12 weeks OP

I set things in motion but then also contacted my TD etc,, electrician cameout then silence. I am old and disabled and there are laws NB the electrician worked for the council so was used to this. ESB Will know someone,

Mid Jan and no progress so a friendly barrister made ONE CALL to ESB an within 2 days the engineers were out.

So that was from early September to mid January.

OP needs to check with the house owner what the status is,get the MRPN number if there is one, then call ESB and start proceedings . They need payment up front etc.

The current status is the first step. May be the meter etc has been set up? o

pm if you need to,

Graces7 wrote: »

For context I am basing my recollections on getting the electricity supply reconnected to a 'new-build' that had been completed and originally connected to the electricity supply some 10 years previous but had been left empty since completion. A remarkable similar scenario to the one described in the OP.

I would guess the OP is buying off a bank/receiver in which case permission to start the process in advance is unlikely to be forthcoming.

The entire process was a bit of a pain which took a few weeks to sort out, something we had not anticipated as there was an existing meter.

If that scares the OP, then all I can say is forewarned is forearmed.

For context I am basing my recollections on getting the electricity supply reconnected to a 'new-build' that had been completed and originally connected to the electricity supply some 10 years previous but had been left empty since completion. A remarkable similar scenario to the one described in the OP.

I would guess the OP is buying off a bank/receiver in which case permission to start the process in advance is unlikely to be forthcoming.

The entire process was a bit of a pain which took a few weeks to sort out, something we had not anticipated as there was an existing meter.

If that scares the OP, then all I can say is forewarned is forearmed.

Wise words. I jumped the gun here as where I was living before was getting more and more dangerous so I said I would paint and clean etc. as well,as the council told me it would be ready in a month!!

When checks are involved ESB say up to 12 weeks after you have paid and the ladies on the phone were kindness personified.
    Sad that the word "lawsuit" had to be used though

and at least it is summer! And warm....

The electrician and the engineers were stars. They clearly get flak..

Advertisement